wet fit hide glue joint?

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Jim Hepler

wet fit hide glue joint?

Post by Jim Hepler »

I'm about to glue the neck onto my latest archtop body. It's a tapered dovetail joint that fits just snug when I slide it all the way down to where the neck extension just touches the body . I think the dry fit is just right. This guitar is the first one where I've used hot hide glue, so I'm still learning my way. I used it elsewhere on the guitar, so it's not my first joint, but it is kind of a critical one, and I'm concerned that when I put the glue on, the joint might swell so that I won't be able to get the neck all the way home. Should I try a test fit by painting it with hot water first, or is it better to just force it down with clamps if necessary, the risk being I might crack the neck block or have the neck end up sitting a bit high? Neck is walnut and sides are maple, the neck block is spruce (as per Benedetto) if that makes any difference.

thanks, Jim
Bryan Bear

Re: wet fit hide glue joint?

Post by Bryan Bear »

You aren't really going to use all that much glue, just a little bit on the cheeks to hold it in. The dovetail is doing all the work. Sounds like the fit is good enough to not need any glue, that's what you want. If it doesn't seat all the way with a little bit of glue, pop it out right away and shave a little off. . .
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Jim Hepler

Post by Jim Hepler »

Thanks Bryan. That sounds right. Sometimes I get thinking and that leads to worrying, which leads to paralysis. I'll just work fast and if it doesn't go all the way without big force, I'll do as you advise right away before it has set (I hope). The joint really only needs the glue to hold it in place, which is why I wondered since it's just right dry, there isn't much room for swelling.
Jim
Jim Hepler

Post by Jim Hepler »

Thanks for the encouragement Bryan. It worked without problems.
jim
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Glad to hear it! In 50 years when it needs a neck reset, you'll be glad that you didn't use loads of glue <G>
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

It's OK to use a clamp to set a dovetail joint. In fact, I want a bit of tightness near the bottom of the dovetail.
MIMF Staff

Return to “Glues and Finishes”