Noob question re colored finish (Seafoam Green)

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Steve Sawyer

Noob question re colored finish (Seafoam Green)

Post by Steve Sawyer »

I'm working on a Telecaster copy, and have always loved the vintage Fender Seafoam Green color.

I've found formulas for this color for those using an automotive type finish. However, I don't have spray equipment (other than a small airbrush) and am wondering if I need to think about gaining access to a friend's spray setup, or if there is a way of getting a good colored finish without spraying.

Going forward, I expect to be doing natural finishes on more attractive, figured woods (the Tele body is alder), and will probably employ wipe-on finishes as I'm used to doing with the furniture I've built, but for this first one I'm really hoping I can pull off this vintage color.

I note that SM offers colortone pigments for waterborne lacquer, but I haven't been able to find a Seafoam Green formula using those pigments. I also see that Guitar ReRanch offers rattle-can nitrocellulose lacquer in Seafoam Green, and rattle-can nitrocellulose clearcoat.

Any and all suggestions/comments appreciated.
==Steve==
Matt Baker

Re: Noob question re colored finish (Seafoam Green)

Post by Matt Baker »

I like that color as well. I got a cheap SG body for free from a friend so I've been doing some experimenting. This is what it looks like with "Pistashio" Krylon spray paint. I don't know if it's the exact shade you're looking for, but I kinda like it.
Attachments
image.jpg
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

Steve, several years ago when I decided to try to spray lacquer, I looked at the Reranch site, and yes, they have a bunch of Fender colors and clear in rattle cans. I decided to go ahead and spray from a gun (I already had a compressor) and it has worked out well, and I can mix my own colors. I've heard only good things about the Reranch stuff - have never used it myself - but I think this would be the easiest way for you to get the color/finish you want.
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Matt Baker wrote:This is what it looks like with "Pistashio" Krylon spray paint. I don't know if it's the exact shade you're looking for, but I kinda like it.
That is nice - but yeah, Seafoam Green is almost a turquoise color. In fact, when I first started researching it, I thought of it as a blue, but put alongside colors that are unambiguously blue, I could see that it's a blue-green teal-like color. My vision is to pair this color with a tortoise-shell pick guard (which I already have in the stash... :mrgreen: )

Last edited by Steve Sawyer on Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
==Steve==
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Peter Wilcox wrote:'ve heard only good things about the Reranch stuff - have never used it myself - but I think this would be the easiest way for you to get the color/finish you want.
Thanks, Peter - I agree that it might be the path of least resistance. My one concern is that I'm probably going to be ready to paint along about January, and since I don't want to spray lacquer in my basement shop, It'll probably get pushed off to the spring sometime...unless we get a good warm mid-winter warm spell which isn't unheard of in this part of the country. :roll:

On the other hand, I could forge ahead with finishing the body as soon as I get the shop back in a usable state rather than the neck shaping and fretting which was the next step I had planned - that would give me until October or so to get to the point of applying the finish. I could then switch to a clear waterborne lacquer for the neck when I get to that point.
==Steve==
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

Lacquer can be a hassle. I have to spray outside, so I build around the weather and the seasons. Here in the high desert (think Nevada) the winters can be cold and snowy (sub-zero at times), the summers hot (got to 114 last year), and winds of 50mph frequent (I measured 114mph a few years ago). So I build 6-8 bodies and necks in the winter (I have heaters in the shop), and spray on days of non-windy good weather in the spring and fall, or early mornings in the summer. At least the humidity is almost always low.
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Peter Wilcox wrote:I have to spray outside
Me too, or at least in the garage with the door open.

What is the recommended temp and humidity range recommended for nitro? It's been dry here in SE Michigan so far this summer, but it can get REAL humid at times. Temps can reach sub-zero in winter, and has been known to break 100* occasionally in the summer.
==Steve==
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

Steve Sawyer wrote: What is the recommended temp and humidity range recommended for nitro? It's been dry here in SE Michigan so far this summer, but it can get REAL humid at times. Temps can reach sub-zero in winter, and has been known to break 100* occasionally in the summer.
Opinions vary. My can says between 55F and 90F, but I know from experience that 90 in the sun causes bubbles - very likely the sun and not the temp. I've sprayed at 50 with no problem, and I've read of folks using it below 32. Apparently it's the humidity that causes problems, with the need for retarder at greater than 80% (but probably also dependent on the dew point).
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

I spayed lacquer once below 32 but had a major problem when the cold air fractured the nearly completed finish. I had to strip and refinish that one.
MIMF Staff

Return to “Glues and Finishes”