Spray nitrocellulose lacquer after "expiration"?

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Shea Dunivent

Spray nitrocellulose lacquer after "expiration"?

Post by Shea Dunivent »

Hello!

I have a gallon of Cardinal Luthierlac and a quart of sealer of the same brand that will be about 2 months past the expiration date (1 year past its manufactured date) when i will have access to a spray booth to finish a couple guitars. Just hoping someone might have some experience spraying expired nitro (Cardinal, or other brand). What might i expect? Should i just ditch this stuff and order another can? I did break the seal on the can shortly after receiving it to seal a batch of pickup bobbins.

Thanks a ton for any input i might receive!
Barry Daniels

Re: Spray nitrocellulose lacquer after "expiration"?

Post by Barry Daniels »

I have some 20 year old lacquer that I would not hesitate to use. It doesn't go bad. If it did it would smell different. The only real hazard of aged lacquer is that it will loose some of it's volatile content and get thicker. This could easily be remedied by adding thinner.

I have some Cardinal lacquer that is dated 02/12 and I will be using it in the near future on my latest build. I don't know why they place a 12 month expiration date on it. Probably a product liability issue.
MIMF Staff
Shea Dunivent

Post by Shea Dunivent »

Thanks Barry! Just what i was hoping to hear.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

No problemo.

Take care spraying the lacquer. It's nasty stuff and it off-gases for several weeks so don't let the vapor seep into your living space. I have a low power exhaust fan that I use to let run for a month when using the old McFaddens nitro.
MIMF Staff
Shea Dunivent

Post by Shea Dunivent »

Barry Daniels wrote:No problemo.

Take care spraying the lacquer. It's nasty stuff and it off-gases for several weeks so don't let the vapor seep into your living space. I have a low power exhaust fan that I use to let run for a month when using the old McFaddens nitro.
Absolutely. I actually attend the Red Rocks School of Fine Woodworking and Lutherie where i have access to a large professional spray booth, which is where i will spray this stuff. And the guitars will remain at the school shop for several weeks to "cure" and off-gas.

I am currently on the search for a different durable finish for the future when i have a more established shop in my home.

Return to “Glues and Finishes”