Dealing With UV Cured Finish

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Dave Gentner

Dealing With UV Cured Finish

Post by Dave Gentner »

Has anyone come up with a way to repair uv cured poly finishes other than ca? I've recently had a customer ask if I could make some modifications to his Taylor. Specifically an ebony backstrap on the peghead and abalone purfling on the top. I said I could do it but the finish would be a problem. Any suggestions?
David King

Re: Dealing With UV Cured Finish

Post by David King »

I wouldn't worry about it too much. You can use a polyester surfboard finishing resin with MEKP hardener or even try that Solarez that comes in tiny packages and cures in the sun (if it's sunny). Just sand off the gloss that you are overcoating for good adhesion.
The downside with polyesters is how hard they are to buff out, don't skip any sanding steps. I'd be very loathe to spray these since they can harden inside a gun and ruin it. Hopefully it's a small enough area that you can daub it on with a disposable brush and build up enough to sand back in one or two sessions.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Are you planning on stripping and refinishing the neck and top? May also need to remove bridge. Sounds like a lot of work.
MIMF Staff
Paul Kincaid

Post by Paul Kincaid »

For flat finishes Taylor recommends Mohawk products.

http://youtu.be/FZcoouXAunI
Todd Stock

Post by Todd Stock »

These are typically the customers that get a strong suggestion to sell their instrument and buy one that has what they want already installed. When I get the 'I'll never find one that sounds the same', I direct them to the nearest Guitar Center's 'Wall'o'Taylors' and the 1,000 identical, blister-pak's Taylors that the robots there have been churning out.

But seriously - that mod would run a minimum of 3 hours for neck and 5 hours for body, so figure an $850 bill...betting if he sells his guitar and manages to scrape together $600 extra, there's a 'nice' used Taylor slathered in Abalam that will fit the bill. Or maybe check the AGF listings for an upgrade...just had someone in with a beautiful used Bourgeois that he picked up for $2200...did not have all the dead shellfish on it, but tone and playability was exceptional.
Bill Blackman

Post by Bill Blackman »

I was wondering if any of you had used the UV cured stuff for a finish - how to cure, etc.?
David King

Post by David King »

Bill, welcome to the MIMF! I have some limited experience using someone else's equipment. There aren't a lot of upsides to be honest. The 400W and 1000W lamps are now available from China for around $400-$700 bucks down from $2400 for a USA version so that's something. What are you hoping to do with it? If you search for UV finish discussions here you'll learn a lot.
Dan Hehnke

Post by Dan Hehnke »

Todd, are you able to charge $100/hr for repair work? If so, I'm sure not charging enough....

Return to “Glues and Finishes”