StewMac tools

Finishing with Enduro-Var Water Based Urethane - Detailed Method

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.

Finishing with Enduro-Var Water Based Urethane - Detailed Method

Postby Mike Conner » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:49 pm

Chuck Tweedy and others contributed lots of useful details on finishing guitars using General Finishes Enduro-Var Water Based Urethane in this recent thread:
http://www.mimf.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4092

This thread and the experience gained using Enduro-Var on my most recent archtop guitar motivated me to revise the finishing section of my Archtop Build Journal. The 4th edition of the Journal will be ready for posting soon.

Here is the finishing section from the Journal, focused on the details and methods I am using for Enduro-Var. My focus is on using foam brushes and easy to obtain sandpaper and automotive polishing compounds to get near-professional results. I am still learning and refining my technique, and there are certain several other ways to get high quality results.

I can't seem to attach the document as a PDF, so I scanned the individual pages to JPG. PM me if you want a emailed copy of the current draft of the Journal.
Finishing with Enduro-Var - Title pg.jpg

Finishing with Enduro-Var - Pg 1.jpg

Finishing with Enduro-Var - Pg 2.jpg

Finishing with Enduro-Var - Pg 3.jpg

Finishing with Enduro-Var - Pg 4.jpg

//mike
Mike Conner

Re: Finishing with Enduro-Var Water Based Urethane - Detailed Method

Postby Mark Grazier » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:47 pm

Thanks for posting this Mike, very helpful.
Mark Grazier

Postby Beate Ritzert » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:36 pm

Just a remark: i have been working with water based PU acrylic laquer a few times. I found it pretty convenient to use micromesh sanding paper *wet* up to the finest available grit (12000 (!)), switching from normal wet paper i was using for the coarse grits (typically 320, 400, 600, 1200) There are sets of all sizes in a useful size and to a moderate price. That procedure will lead to a gloss superior to that of many industry made guitars, so additional buffing is often not necessary.
Beate Ritzert

Postby Todd Stock » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:21 am

The problem with EnduroVar wet sanding using water is that it shows witness lines on buff-out. DAMHIKT.
Todd Stock

Postby Gordon Bellerose » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:05 am

I've been using a product called "Britetone", made by the same company that makes crystylac products.
I was never able to get their grain filler to work to my satisfaction, but this water base lacquer is pretty nice.
It builds thickness quicker than the EM-6000 I was using, and it dries water clear with no tinge of blue whatsoever.

I have had to repair it and it repairs nicely also.
Quite expensive. 130 Canadian per 4 litres. That's about 100 American.
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
Gordon Bellerose

Postby Randolph Rhett » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:56 pm

Todd Stock wrote:The problem with EnduroVar wet sanding using water is that it shows witness lines on buff-out. DAMHIKT.

So what do you do then? Dry sand with micromesh? Use some other lubricant?
Randolph Rhett

Postby Steve Sawyer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:46 am

Todd Stock wrote:The problem with EnduroVar wet sanding using water is that it shows witness lines on buff-out. DAMHIKT.

I'll second Randolph's question! :)
==Steve==
Steve Sawyer

Return to Glues and Finishes