Finish Repair

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Michael Baresi

Finish Repair

Post by Michael Baresi »

I bought the Fender Ron Emory as a second. Got it real cheap and all it needed was a truss rod adjustment. Unfortunately they ground off the Fender logo on the headstock. Seems the finish is quite deep and I can't just stain it black and refinish it. It needs to be filled. I'm thinking maybe some black epoxy?
Any suggestions would be appreciated
emory.jpg
Barry Daniels

Re: Finish Repair

Post by Barry Daniels »

Brush on thick layers of black lacquer until it's level.
MIMF Staff
Michael Baresi

Post by Michael Baresi »

Thanks Barry
this is a chinese guitar. Does that mean its a poly finish and will that matter.
I laid a straight edge across it and measured the depth. I estimate 1/32 to 3/64
David King

Post by David King »

I'd stain the wood with straight transtint black and then fill any way you can. My preference would be thick CA just for the sake of time. A hard epoxy would be fine if you have some West 105-207 or equivalent. Laying in black nitro from a rattle can will take time but it should stick OK.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

I would use Bondo to fill something that deep. Feather it into the wood around it. Respray the bare wood with flat black and then clear over top of it. If the herringbone is inlay (rather than decal) I would be tempted to sand the clear off the face of the peghead , touch up the black, and respray the entire face.
David King

Post by David King »

Bondo is a great idea and you could even tint it black or stain it after leveling.
Mark Fogleman

Post by Mark Fogleman »

Another option is to do some inlay.

Return to “Glues and Finishes”