Need advice on using TransTint Dye on curly maple

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Jason Rodgers

Re: Need advice on using TransTint Dye on curly maple

Post by Jason Rodgers »

Randolph Rhett wrote:If you are going to rub a dye on bare wood I highly recommends the series of YouTube videos by BigDGuitars. He gets truly amazing results. FWIW, I have done a few on curly maple including necks and not had any problems with the dreaded "blotching" everyone talks about.
This guy really dives right into some serious color combinations with the Fiebings and Angelus leather dyes. Thanks for that vid tip, Randolph.
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
Eric Baack

Post by Eric Baack »

I had good results with the LMII water based aniline dye. That was on a veneer though so no end grain effect so much.
David King

Post by David King »

My stained finishes always look like crap to me and most of the others I see look pretty bad too. Sealing the wood first with a lacquer based sanding sealer and wiping the stain on over that might be worth a try. Again you need a super-smooth surface for even staining but then you're bound to get adhesion problems. I'll do anything to avoid staining a nice looking piece of wood.

Return to “Glues and Finishes”