Salt in hide glue?

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Doug Polk

Salt in hide glue?

Post by Doug Polk »

Just rewad the post about using urea in hide glue to extend working time. I have also read somewhere that plain table salt can be used as well. Any truth to this?
Chris Reed

Re: Salt in hide glue?

Post by Chris Reed »

I've also read this. I believe the trade off is working time for joint strength.
Woodrow Brackett

Post by Woodrow Brackett »

I have used salt to extend open times. I use hot hide glue, pretty much exclusively, but I'm not sure what gram strength I have. I've got a couple five gallon buckets that were handed down several generations. It's my understanding that higher gram strength gels quicker....at a warmer temp.......lower gram strengths gel at a lower temp. The glue I use gels at ~95 degrees F. Adding 10% salt will lower the gel point ~10 degrees. It seems OK in tests I done. I used HHG +10% salt to close the box for a while, but finally decided I didn't need the extra time. Mario has a video closing the box with HHG. He's quick and efficient, but isn't.....running around like a mad man. It helped me realize I didn't need the extra time.

By "adding 10% salt" I'm saying for an example, 20 grams for glue granules, 2 grams salt.....then the approiate amount of water. Another observation it took me a while to figure out. Glue that's really thin/watery gels quicker. Thicker glue tends to hold heat better, at least for me. Always test on scrap, and YMMV
I need a signature here.
Nick Middleton

Post by Nick Middleton »

Here's an article Popular Woodworking posted a while back regarding this:

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/artic ... iquid-form

At the bottom of the article they talked about using salt to convert HHG to LHG

Return to “Glues and Finishes”