Hardened Shellac?

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Bill Hicklin

Hardened Shellac?

Post by Bill Hicklin »

Anyone have any experience with the "U-Beaut Hard Shellac" LMII sells? I notice that Trevor Gore uses and recommends it. (I French polish all my stuff because I don't have a decent spray setup, and if this stuff is really tougher than trad shellac I'd love it).
Tom Sommerville

Re: Hardened Shellac?

Post by Tom Sommerville »

Hi Bill,
I've been using it over the past year or so, and it seems fine. I applied it to a kitchen table I made last fall and so far at least, no complaints.

I'll say this much: it's different. It doesn't feel like shellac when you pad it out, and it's difficult to get the sheen and clarity you get with FP. Rubbing out helps. I don't use a buffer, just wet sanding and micro-grit.
It seems to spray okay, at least for shellac.

I was warned that the cross-linking components of finishes are generally nasty, and that you ought to use a respirator, even when padding. It was an automotive finish supplier who passed this along to me. I skimmed over the data sheet provided and didn't see this highlighted, so maybe he's wrong. But an ounce of prevention...

Maybe someone else will know more.

Tom
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Re: Hardened Shellac?

Post by Charlie Schultz »

Hi Tom and welcome to the new forum!

Return to “Glues and Finishes”