Mesh Bench Liner

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Andrew McSpadden

Mesh Bench Liner

Post by Andrew McSpadden »

This may not be the right section of the forum but here it is. I am looking for a source in the US for the soft rubber mesh that lines the benches of many shops that I have worked in and seen, They have it everywhere at PRS and I got it for CFox guitars from a restaurant supply company but that closed down.

It is sold as a shelf liner for restaurants to line their shelves for drying glassware. It is a open paper mesh dipped in soft rubber. It is GREAT for benches because the holes are big enough to let debris fall through and soft enough to not scratch finishes. There are many hard plastic versions of the same stuff but they will scratch and guitars slide right over them.

Thanks for your time!
Attachments
SandingBlog(H)-6915.jpg
Barry Daniels

Re: Mesh Bench Liner

Post by Barry Daniels »

You need to be careful with that kind of pad. Some have been reported to contain a lot of silicone which will contaminate your wood surfaces and mess up application of finishes in a bad way.

They are often sold by suppliers of routing accessories. Here is one:

http://www.rockler.com/non-slip-router- ... 3UQAvD_BwE
MIMF Staff
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Schultz »

Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

I was about to caution you of the same thing Barry mentioned. I had some issues with shelf liners leaving a residue that interfered with finish. I don't think it was silicone in my case because I was able to fairly easily sand it away and start over, it wasn't as tenacious of a problem as I would expect from silicone. Even if you find something that is supposed to be silicone free, test it out on some scrap before putting all over your shop.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Andrew McSpadden

Post by Andrew McSpadden »

I am looking to use it less as a non slip mat and more for the large holes that let debris fall through. Great for setup and sanding benches.

I did find some at a yard sale years ago that did have silicone! Got rid of it fast. There must be a supplier that carries this because I see it in every mid to large size guitar factory.
Keith Howell

Post by Keith Howell »

Darrel Friesen

Post by Darrel Friesen »

Return to “Glues and Finishes”