Decal film & commercial printing

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Steve Sawyer

Decal film & commercial printing

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Has anyone had a drawing printed on decal film at a commercial printing facility (e.g. FedEx Kinko's or Staples)?

I have a local hobby shop that carries it, but no longer have an inkjet printer. I'm finishing my first build this week, and that headstock (a Tele) looks kinda bare without something on it...
==Steve==
Bob Francis

Re: Decal film & commercial printing

Post by Bob Francis »

I have had window signs done that way the media is just thicker.
Good luck with those.
I would ask for a sample and slide it onto a stick with similar finish to make sure there was no negative3 reaction though.
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Okay - thanks, Bob. I'll give it a shot...
==Steve==
Chad Schmidt

Post by Chad Schmidt »

I've used waterslide decals printed by Bedlam Creations. Haven't had any problems with them under a nitro finish...
Gordon Bellerose

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

I use decals under water-base lacquer a lot.
I had my company name done in a special font. One of the commercial printing companies made me a few sheets of decals.
They are a two layer thing. One layer peels off, leaving the glue side of the decal exposed.
I simply place it on the headstock, and remove the backing layer, leaving the decal on the headstock.
It is a bit finicky but not terrible.
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

I discovered when I picked up the film from the hobby shop that they have two types - one for laser printers, another for inkjet. Uncertain as to what technology my local FedEx/Kinko's had available, I got both (about $3 a sheet), but it turned out they are 100% laser.

The printing turned out perfect. I drew this with Inkscape, and ran several colors as I wasn't sure which one would render the best. I have a couple of coats of Behlen vinyl sealer on the neck/headstock now, and after sanding will apply the one I like best using MicroSet decal setting solution, then will proceed with the nitro clear-coat.

The colors came out remarkably close to what I saw on-screen, so I think I'm going with the third one on the sheet as that one has more of a "gold" look to it.

Total cost (not including the inkjet sheet that I'll be returning) was about $4 and I could have placed about 20 of these on the sheet. Didn't really want to do more on this run as I'm not sure what kind of headstock I'll have on the next two or three builds, but I can modify this as appropriate to whatever those happen to be.

Oh - one other thing for those who haven't done this before, this is a continuous 8 1/2 x 11 inch sheet of decal. It's necessary to carefully cut out the decal close to the design for each logo so as to minimize the amount of clear film extending beyond the edge of the design.
Logo_Sheet.jpg
Logo_Sheet.jpg (30.64 KiB) Viewed 13930 times
==Steve==
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Is it a water slide decal or adhesive type?
MIMF Staff
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Barry Daniels wrote:Is it a water slide decal or adhesive type?
Water slide. Many years ago I built static aircraft models, and used these all the time, so I'm probably more comfortable using these than the adhesive type.
==Steve==
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

They are probably more secure under a finish too.
MIMF Staff
Bob Francis

Post by Bob Francis »

I like the gold hue myself.
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Bob Francis wrote:I like the gold hue myself.
Yup. I'm dodging the humid weather to get the the solid color on the body done, then I'll start with the clear-coats (and still dodging the humid weather) and get it applied under the first coat on the headstock.

First part of the summer was amazingly dry for SE Michigan, but we've hit a spell of humidity in the past couple of weeks.
==Steve==
Dan Smith

Post by Dan Smith »

Did Kinkos print those?
I'm afraid risking the stuff thru my laser printer.
Can you let me know the brand name of the material?
Great logo!
Dan
Ever-body was kung fu fight-in,
Them kids was fast as light-nin.
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Yes, Dan. I use Kinko's for all kinds of printing my b&w laser can't handle, including full-scale guitar plans!. If you try them and they're new to decal film, just tell them to treat it as a transparency.
The film i used was Experts-Choice by the Bare-Metal Foil Co. (http://www.bare-metal.com
And thanks for the compliment, though I really just picked a couple of cool-looking typefaces and played with them until it looked acceptable. I'd something more artsy-fartsy in mind, but that's not my strong suit! :) I think the typefaces got installed with InkScape.
==Steve==

Return to “Glues and Finishes”