cut a truss rod slot with almost no measuring

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
John Cross

cut a truss rod slot with almost no measuring

Post by John Cross »

I was experimenting with a technique that I saw in a woodworking magazine a while back for cutting the truss rod slot on a neck blank. The only measuring you need to do is to set the blade height for your truss rod and get it centered on the neck which I just eyeballed since the blanks I’m using are oversized.

The first thing to do is to make a shim that is the same thickness as the kerf your sawblade cuts. I’m using a Diablo blade which is 1/16. I happened to have some 1/16 phenolic which worked perfectly. I also made an auxiliary fence out of ¾ plywood that clamps onto my regular table saw fence.
Attachments
kerf spacer.JPG
John Cross

Re: cut a truss rod slot with almost no measuring

Post by John Cross »

The first cut gets made with the shim behind the auxiliary fence.

Next, I take out the shim and use two truss rods (same model I’m using) as spacers between the regular fence and the auxiliary fence. I placed them in line with the clamps so I wouldn’t get any weird twisting or anything. Make sure you run the blank through the saw with the same edge against the fence.
Attachments
truss rods as spacers.JPG
John Cross

Post by John Cross »

All I need to do then is break out the thin web between the two slots and clean up the bottom with my homemade plow plane. Perfect fit first try.
Attachments
perfect fit.JPG
Truss rod plane.JPG
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

Cool idea!
David King

Post by David King »

So the truss rod spacers are not side-by-side but one at the bottom and one at the top?
John Cross

Post by John Cross »

David

The truss rods are placed directly in line with the clamps I used to hold the plywood auxilary fence to the table saw fence. They are sticking straight up (you can see them in the second picture down - the blue rods right by the blue fence clamps). I could have put them in horizonatlly but it was easier to put them in behind the fence if vertical plus I the rod adjustment nut is a bit wider than the rod so going horizontal would have messed up the spacing.

Return to “Tools and Jigs”