Looking for ideas for an unorthodox workbench

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Matthew Lau

Looking for ideas for an unorthodox workbench

Post by Matthew Lau »

Dear MIMF,

I've been lurking on MIMF since 2000, and picked up a lot of ideas.
Until now, I haven't really had the time or resources to build a workbench.

Can I get your input regarding bench design (aside from buying the Chris Schwartz book)?

I'll have unusual requirements:
1. I'll be working out of a carpeted, rented room. There's not much space. It'd be great if it were collapsible, but not necessary. Storage would be great, but not essential. It'd be nice if it looked pretty, so my housemate won't see it.
2. It's focused on building guitars or smaller.
3. I'm use mainly hand tools (for dust and noise reasons). Primarily, it'll be for assembly. However, I'll probably also use it for thicknessing tops, glue-ups, and holding instruments during french polish. It'd be great if it didn't shift about too much.
4. I'd like to use it with bench dogs, hold-downs, clamps.
5. Not a requirement, but a side-note, I like to work sitting on the floor. I'm considering looking into the Japanese way of woodworking, but there seems to be limited information on their very low workbenches.

Anyways, I'd like your thoughts.
-Matt

ps. edited for syntax
Chuck Tweedy

Re: Looking for ideas for an unorthodox workbench

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

Lurking? :-)
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Hi Matthew,
I mentioned the B&D workmate in your other post. When it is folded up and laid down on the floor it rests on four little feet and stands about 8 inches tall. In this position the clamping top still functions and also comes with dogs and dog holes. It is easily portable (that's what it's made for) so you can work al fresco when the weather is fair and fine.
Steve Senseney

Post by Steve Senseney »

As I read your original post, I think you need to make yourself a dining (or kitchen table) that is somewhat heavy, has a vise on one end (or side) and has some tool drawers underneath.
Nick Middleton

Post by Nick Middleton »

I work in a carpeted bedroom and I use an old kitchen table from IKEA that has a butcher-block kind of top on it. It works pretty well for me. It's thick enough that I have been able to put 3/4" dog-holes in it and rig up different mounting-options while building and repairing. I use a Gunstock-Vise for my primary guitar-holder and Veritas Bench-Pups for special operations. It's pretty flexible. It doesn't help you with the folding-part, but it still passes for being indoor furniture and can still be a desk/table when not being used for guitar-work.
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

Chuck Tweedy wrote:Lurking? :-)
:lol: You got me!

Okay, spinning my wheels and not really contributing a whole ton, while occasionally starting eclectic threads (in contrast to Louie Atenza/jig master, or that great Aussie guitar builder).
Truly, MIMF was an addiction of mine for the past eight years.

Hmmm, I think that I'm over-complicating things as usual.
I think that Steve and Nick have nailed it on the head.

I'll just have to build it, use it, redesign it, and have some fun.
In my case, it probably won't be a kitchen table, but rather a coffee table or side table.
In the meanwhile, I may just use my workmate.

-Matt

Return to “Tools and Jigs”