Dust collectors to stay away from?

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Tom Frei

Re: Dust collectors to stay away from?

Post by Tom Frei »

Thanks, yea, I am a mask junkee, and eyewear also, just stepping in the shop I have at least a basic dust mask on. Respirator when I do serious work.
Patrick Kirkham

Post by Patrick Kirkham »

Quick n somewhat clean method for filtering shop vacs:
Run a bit of straight pipe out the exhaust,pull an old sock over it and duct tape. Pull another half over that and tape.Pull another half over that and tape. Any more seem to load the motor. Takes care of fine particulate nicely.Change frequently.
Emergency inner filter for shop vac: cut off t-shirt sleeve pulls over filter frame and duct tapes nicely. Change frequently if you just can't make it to Wal-Mart for a proper one.
Mad Max approved.
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

Just note that once you start running dust through the motor, you will never get it clean enough to use in an indoor breathing space again.
Tom Frei

Post by Tom Frei »

I have a hepa filter on my shop-vac, and a 5 gallon 'cyclone' pre-dust collector, so there is not a lot going through the exhaust.
David King

Post by David King »

Tom, It sounds like you have a good handle on the shop vac's inherent weaknesses. I would recommend that you consider also using the yellow "sheetrock dust" shop vac bags. They will save you a lot of time keeping the hepa filter clean and will insure that it lasts indefinitely.

Return to “Tools and Jigs”