Steam generation

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Mark Wybierala

Steam generation

Post by Mark Wybierala »

Years ago I took my mostly unused walmart purchased cappuccino machine, attached 3/8" high pressure gas line to the milk frother tube, and the steam tip sold by stewmac. I was very much a beginner at this sort of thing and was compiling a collection of tools. It did make a lot of steam. I often thought it would be a good idea to put a catch can in the line to catch the liquid that would sometimes come out but I never did. Truth be told, I never actually successfully used it for the intended purpose of steaming a neck joint. But it was very good at cleaning stains in fabric. The device is now gone.

I now need another steam machine. I can get another cappuccino machine similar to what I had on ebay for about $50 or less. These come with a built-in pressure relief and don't take up much space. Is there a better option?
Alan Carruth

Re: Steam generation

Post by Alan Carruth »

I got a regular stove top pressure cooker that works fine. I just run a line from the pressure valve stem to a basketball needle, using a couple of small hose clamps. I put in a cup of water or so and heat it on a hot plate, which I already had.
Thomas Wentzel

Post by Thomas Wentzel »

I've been using the coffee machine with success for a good number of years, but I made one simple modification to control the pressure by putting a brass 'release' or 'bypass' valve inline. That way I can dial down the pressure of the steam to preserve a delicate finish, or open it up to blast out gunk that may have clogged the needle.
See the pic
Tom
Attachments
IMG_8940.jpg
Bob Orr

Post by Bob Orr »

I use one of those steam wallpaper strippers.
Jim Ritter

Post by Jim Ritter »

Another vote for the wallpaper steamer. I’ve steamed many boat planks with mine, so it can produce more steam than than you need even for double bass sides.
Jim
Mark Wybierala

Post by Mark Wybierala »

Oh darn...
I went to the thrift shop and immediately saw a little Krups IL Primo cappuccino machine in new condition for $7.99 and took it home. Since it was from the thrift shop, I had no idea if it worked so of course I had to try to make myself a cappuccino. Darn... It was delicious.

So now I'm looking for another.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

What a messed up priority. ;-)
MIMF Staff
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

The same tool can do both jobs. It’s not like you have to steam a neck every day.
Roger Rosenberger

Post by Roger Rosenberger »

Here's mine. It's an old tea kettle I got from the Restore for 50 cents, some auto heater hoses, a couple reducing fittings and a ball valve needle. I use my camp stove for the heat source.
It's kind of clunky but it works. Actually the curved radiator hose lets me set it over the back of the wind guard on the camp stove and makes it very stable.

Return to “Tools and Jigs”