a wooden plane for sharpening blades & chisels

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Bob Hammond

a wooden plane for sharpening blades & chisels

Post by Bob Hammond »

Hello,

Sharpening has never been an enjoyable activity for me, and I doubt I'll ever acquire the 'muscle memory' to do it freehand. Also, I've been disappointed by the roller-type guides. So I made a sharpening plane that works very well. I use coarse abrasive paper on a granite floor tile for badly damaged blades and then finish up with a diamond plate (or progressively finer abrasive papers). I use a granite tile because it will not shatter as glass does if a mishap occurs.

The pictures are explanatory, but I'll add a comment or two. The blades are installed bevel side down, and are adjusted much as in any ordinary wooden plane. The paper is held to the granite plate by a few squirts of waterless handcleaner (it's good for removing pitch from sawblades, too). Unlike while using a roller-type guide, the wooden plane will not wrinkle up the abrasive paper and result in nicking the paper. Also, it's easy to add a micro-bevel if desired. Just project the blade a tiny bit, and then press down on the toe of the plane for a few swipes on the diamond plate or very fine grit paper. The degree of micro-bevel is dependent on the projection of the blade and the distance from the blade to the toe of the plane.

This same plane body can accommodate chisels too by substituting a different wedge that compensates for the taper of the chisel blade.
Attachments
This blade was very badly damaged.  This is after 100, 220, 400, and 600 grit
This blade was very badly damaged. This is after 100, 220, 400, and 600 grit
25 degrees is a good all-around bevel angle, but you may wish to cut several different ones with wedges to match
25 degrees is a good all-around bevel angle, but you may wish to cut several different ones with wedges to match
It's just chunk of fir 2x4 that was dressed.
It's just chunk of fir 2x4 that was dressed.
Barry Daniels

Re: a wooden plane for sharpening blades & chisels

Post by Barry Daniels »

I use a similar setup for some finger plane blades that are too small for the roller jig. Instead of a plane configuration, I just have a triangular block of wood the the blade sits on.
MIMF Staff
Bob Hammond

Post by Bob Hammond »

Barry,

I think a simple block is fine for smaller blades. But for larger items such as bench chisels and plane irons, I've found that a wooden plane gives a secure, wobble-free grip on the tool and thus provides consistent results in a short time. I might make another one for my lathe chisels such as a skew, diamond, and bedan, although those are typically done on white slow-speed wheel.
Last edited by Bob Hammond on Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

I'm not disagreeing. It looks like a good idea.
MIMF Staff
Bob Hammond

Post by Bob Hammond »

No worries. Oh, I forgot to mention stropping afterwards, for the razor edge.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Cool!
Bob Francis

Post by Bob Francis »

Great idea !

Return to “Tools and Jigs”