Drum sander attachment for my outside sanding lathe

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Bob Howell

Drum sander attachment for my outside sanding lathe

Post by Bob Howell »

20180707_150919_000.jpg
I've been wanting a drum sander be space and budget limited options.
Then I remembered my bowl sanding lathe set up 5 years ago. A jack shaft gears it down to 150 rpm and about anything up to 3000. Fan blows the dust of to yard. Assembled this from junk around shop.
Wound up 3"clear of center.
I'll turn a 4" drum, or so, and be in business.
Bob Howell

Re: Drum sander attachment for my outside sanding lathe

Post by Bob Howell »

I will place a sled on this and manually feed stock. I can raise the bed 1-2" easily. I can quickly make several sized drums as I determine what works best. I got 80# and 120# sand paper cut for the 16-36 Jet drum sander. I think I read it has a 4" drum. Bench top 4" sander is in the background. I use 40 # paper all the time to thin sides. Not much accuracy in thicknessing.

I have a 25 year old Delta thickness planner that is getting cranky. Think the roller are shot. This is much needed improvement to my luthier projects.

Lathe shown is 1948 model that came with beautiful set of cast iron legs I used for another, inside, lathe. I went on a spree in 2013 and bought 5 lathes, one a wide belt model from 1862 with 200 lb legs. Sold one and use three others.
Ed Minch

Post by Ed Minch »

Bob

You probably know this, but a drum sander will put pretty substantial side loads on the bearing in the head and tail stocks (if they have them!) Be prepared to replace those bearings at some point.

Sounds like an interesting project - keep us informed

Ed
Bob Howell

Post by Bob Howell »

Bearings do wear out but are not that difficult to change. I installed these in 2013 when I restored this lathe. I do think the live center is a weak link. I got a heavy duty one 20 years ago when turning bead post. But I may have other flaws in my concept. I look forward to testing it out over the coming weeks. This whole project is based on re-tasking stuff I have around for current projects. This hunk of cast iron will make a great foundation for a sander if I can get accurate results from this table I have constructed. Also it was already setup primarily as a sander with fans positioned to blow dust away. I am able to get this drum sander function going with no additional space used. It is under a 12x16'covered patio, attached to my 14x'20' outside shop.

The drums are easy to make so I can have several this way. Today I glued up a new 5 1/4 x 17" one, as I see 4" is too small to start off with. I will probably cut it in half and put 240# on one. I only know of $30 box cut for Jet 16-32 sander. Be nice to find way to adapt smaller sheets, or one of the belts pre cut for common size machine. This all came to me as I studies the 6"x 36 belts and some other size, even smaller, at Highland Woodworking. I have seen a lot of setups over the years, and am going back to look at them. I bought 5-6 of the Methods Of Work series from FWW, 25-30 years ago when I was first starting out. A lot of ideas there. Also on forums like the archives here. Maybe that's where I saw someone use a small portable lathe to thickness sides, I don't remember.
Bob Howell

Post by Bob Howell »

Trueing the drum. That adjustment knob was great find. Makes this easy to fine tune.
Went on to install paper and even up a Osage orange back. Took it to.08
PE_20180708195654.jpg
Gordon Bellerose

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

In my experience I have found that a lot of people try to take too much material off at once.
A friend of mine blew out the bearings on his Delta drum sander that way.

Like every power tool, let the tool do the work and don't try to feed it too fast.
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
Bob Howell

Post by Bob Howell »

This is working much better than hoped. I have gone up to 1800 rpms or so. Set to skim lightly and run it 2/3 in and back out. So no need to catch it on the other side and bring over top. So far I've only used 80 grit as I misplaced the 120 grit box. Most of effort has been to thin figured wood. Byrds eye and curly maple. Several passes and 1/2 turn on the screw.

I would like to know what rpm the Performax runs.

What other papers are others using on these home made drum sanders.

I have a heavy PC 6" ro sander that I can use to remove scratches.

Thanks
Bob
Bob Francis

Post by Bob Francis »

I had read some time ago 22-2300 RPMs
David King

Post by David King »

My performax is a 1750 RPM motor direct drive to a 5" dia drum.
Bob Hammond

Post by Bob Hammond »

Bob, do you get an even thickness with your rig? If so, it's easier to build and set up than the one I built (in the library) which gives good results but takes time to set up and adjust (I like to do a woodturning too).
Bob Howell

Post by Bob Howell »

Yes, even so far. The paper is not super tight so I have slight sanding before I make hard contact. You have a lot of control with hand feed no otherwise available .
This setup is working great and changed guitar making for me. Just finished a sitka spruce top and got the oil can soundat around .11".

'
Bob Howell

Post by Bob Howell »

The adjustment mechanism is a 1/2" bolt and I raise it about a half turn at a time, which is very little. The table is 14" across because I had that quickly available and I saw it as a prototype of a more complex table, if the concept worked. But it works so well I have not taken the time to improve it. Mostly I see beefing up the table with stronger hinges in the future. I have moved it 4-6" side to side, along the ways, under the drum with no effect on the accuracy or adjustment.
The clearance side to side is 24" or so which enables me to pass a sound board or back, through sideways to insure even thickness. Only the center 17" is touching paper, but it is only to insure even thickness and just a check.

I started with 80 grit paper. After a month or so it came lose and self distructed. I now have 120 grit which works better for glued up tops and backs.

I am making a 10" drum that will slip right in with 40 grit paper for rough thickness sanding/planning of squrielly grain. I just glue up 2x6" pine to the length I need. Very easy. Eventually I'll have several.

Safety is becoming a big issue to me as I have two grand children 4-5 and another on the way. Now they are scared of the noise but soon that may pass. I have a lot of exposed belts here I must cover.
Bob Francis

Post by Bob Francis »

I had a homemade small set up that used 120 grit.
I could buy it in a roll.
I really like your idea of cassette drums with different grits available for the specific job at hand.
Bob Howell

Post by Bob Howell »

drumsander.jpg
I made a 10"x5" drum for 40grit paper. took osage orange down to about 1/8-3/32". Glued it up and having problems getting scratches out. Paper over laped in one place and gouged scratches.

Will switch to 80 grit at 1/8" + next time.

See picture is upside down??

Return to “Tools and Jigs”