order of steps with Stew-Mac binding router bit?

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.

order of steps with Stew-Mac binding router bit?

Postby Brian Evans » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:32 pm

I am hoping to use my new SM binding router bit setup to rout the binding rebate and add a ledge for purfling. Kind of a .040" wide by 1/10" deep purlfing inside of a 1/4" deep by 1/16" thick binding. I can't decide if you should start with the wider purfling cut and then do the deeper binding cut, or do the binding cut first.

Brian
Brian Evans

Re: order of steps with Stew-Mac binding router bit?

Postby Bob Gramann » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:01 pm

I’ve found that with the router, the size of the bite matters. So I do the binding ledge first (sometimes in three steps with chippy wood), then the smaller purfling ledge. The StewMac bit set comes with a little sleeve to lower the bearing below the already cut ledge. (All my career, I have cut the binding and purfling ledges using just the bearing with no jigs—it’s not that hard to keep the router axis vertical.) Recently, I have been cutting the binding ledge, installing the binding, then cutting the purfling groove with a dremel using a good guide and a lot of care and patience. This way, I end up with fewer gaps to fuss over. I don’t think that practicing on scrap wood (made up into what ever situation mimics what you want to accomplish) can be over recommended when you first start with a router. With a little practice, you can get a feel for the router’s behavior and some wisdom on selecting speeds. Pay attention to the direction of cut and to grain direction.
Bob Gramann

Return to Tools and Jigs