Guitar vise

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Steve Sawyer

Guitar vise

Post by Steve Sawyer »

I really like the looks of the StewMac guitar repair vise, but at over $150 it's a bit steep, so I cobbled up one of my own for less than $20 and some odds & ends around the shop. An 8" wooden handscrew forms the basis. The knob is one of those from a jig fastener kit that everyone sells. I drilled out the 5/16" brass threaded insert on my mini lathe and pinned it to the screw using a spring-pin. I pivoted the bottoms of the jaws with some bushings from the local hardware store. To secure it to the bench through one of the bench-dog holes, I threaded the center block for a 1/4-20 piece of threaded rod, and epoxied it in place. Some leather secured to the jaws with some contact cement finished it up.
Vise 1s.jpg
Vise 2s.jpg
Vise 3s.jpg
Vise 4s.jpg
==Steve==
JC Whitney

Re: Guitar vise

Post by JC Whitney »

Brilliant!
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

JC Whitney wrote:Brilliant!
I'm not sure "brilliant" is warranted, but thanks!

I spent a lot of time thinking about this before I arrived at the simple solution. Some of the earlier designs would have taken me a week to realize instead of an afternoon!! :mrgreen:
==Steve==
Bob Howell

Post by Bob Howell »

I have used those wooden clamps for many task but this is a new one. Thanks.
David King

Post by David King »

I like looks and safety of this vise but I wouldn't want to be without the security of a pattern makers vise. Sadly, while these used to be widely available for $89 the price now seems fixed at $135. Still a bargain considering the holding power and adaptability. I replace the stock wood jaws with maple ply and cut matching parallel grooves in the jaw faces for extra security when holding onto necks and round bar stock. A thin leather lining also adds to the security. Your vise has given me the idea of draping a leather strap between the tops of the jaws as an extra measure. Thanks!
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

David - if you're finding good pattern-makers vises for $135 - that's a steal, especially if it's an Emmert or equivalent. A lot of those turn up missing parts or with broken castings, and you'll pay top buck for the parts too!

Those are REALLY nice vises!!
==Steve==
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

This is excellent. Good thinkin'!
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
David King

Post by David King »

Steve,
We most definitely aren't talking about an Emmert but the Taiwanese knock-offs of the original $350 German vise that Stewmac et al now sell.
Mark Wybierala

Post by Mark Wybierala »

I've been looking for ideas and I really like this one. I have the original stewmac vise but I don't think I'd buy another at the current price. I need to set up a small satellite shop at another music store that I serve and one at my home. Thank you.

Return to “Tools and Jigs”