Plane Tuning

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Steve Sawyer

Re: Plane Tuning

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Barry Daniels wrote:I got mine from eBay. A 4-1/2, 5 and a 6. Each for less than $50. It took me a while to find good ones though. And this was 5 to 10 years ago so prices may have gone up.
The most common user Stanley planes - 4 through 7 or 8 and their "and a half" cousins are so common that no-one is collecting them, so the prices haven't been driven up. The old Stanley Sweetheart planes command slightly higher prices, but more because they're slightly beefier and more stable, so usually more desirable to the user and worth the few extra bucks, but collectors HAVE pushed up the prices of the sweethearts as they're somewhat scarce. Depending on condition, I wouldn't spend more than $50 for one the Stanley-Baileys - maybe I'd go $60 for a really really clean 7 or 8 but that's only if I really wanted a jointer.

To Eric's point, making planes is a lot of fun, and you can make EXTREMELY serviceable planes with the only significant investment being the blade. If you make friends with a machinist you can have them make you 1/4" thick irons that are pretty impressive when heat-treated.
==Steve==
Bob Howell

Re: Plane Tuning

Post by Bob Howell »

I have made a number of blades from tool steel blanks. 1/8" works fine but 1/4" is nice. It comes in 18" bars and you just cut off 6". A map gas torch will heat the first inch and you drop it in oil. With a charcoal fire and a hairdryer you can really get cooking. I enjoyed it so much I moved on to some blacksmith projects.
Attachments
Blacksmithing.jpg

Return to “Tools and Jigs”