Is the Bosch POF 1200 AE suitable for neck cavities?

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Arnt Rian

Re: Is the Bosch POF 1200 AE suitable for neck cavities?

Post by Arnt Rian »

YMMV, but... The POF (green) Bosch line of tools are light duty, flimsy and made for the DIY crowd. You say you don't need the durability of their professional line, but the question is, can you afford a tool this poor? I wore out a two POF 1400's, which is the 1200's slightly bigger brother, before I wised up and got better tools. And I don't even build electrics...

My advice is to save up for a better full size router, or buy and make do with the GKF 600 for now (or a similar well made laminate trimmer). Even if it is rather under-powered for this task, it will get the job done, plus it will useful for other tasks later.

Tip: Since you ask about this router, I assume you are in Europe or at least 230V-territory, correct? If you get a 230-115V step-down transformer (a "site transformer" from in the UK is not that expensive), you can usually get better deals on tools in this category from the US (especially now the the $ is so anemic...)
Dave Hooper

Post by Dave Hooper »

V. Gordon wrote:Before I follow your instructions and “wise up”, let me see if I understand you correctly. First you get a POF 1400 and wreck it. You conclude that it’s a poor tool, so you …get another POF 1400 and wreck it. Then you find a forum and advise people on routers durability.
You asked a question about Bosch routers and Arnt gave you his thoughts on the Bosch he has owned and used - I think you are being a bit rude to say the least!

Arnt is a talented guy and has built many different types of instruments - he knows his stuff!

I own a Bosch GOF 1300CE Professional 1300W Router and have for the last 20 years its never let me down. Most routers will do the job for you if you take things steady
Arnt Rian

Post by Arnt Rian »

Fine, have it your way
Mattia Valente

Post by Mattia Valente »

I have owned the smaller green line Bosch router - unimpressed with durability, OK adjustment. The blue line stuff is good to great (had a euro plunge model I liked OK, and have a 1617EVS, US, running on a step down transformer that I like a lot). Arnt's right - spend a little more and get a good quality tool immediately. Saves you some cash in the long run.
Dave Hooper

Post by Dave Hooper »

You asked for an opinion of a type of router that you were interested in buying, Arnt very kindly answered your post and then you are discourteous towards him. Normally people say thank you when someone responds to the message that they have posted.
Ryan Mazzocco

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

V. Gordon wrote:"The POF is useable if you go steady.
Then why did you ask? :roll:
Darrel Friesen

Post by Darrel Friesen »

See ya.
Greg Robinson

Post by Greg Robinson »

V. Gordon,

You solicited advice, and Arnt, who is a long-time, helpful and generous member (and also a damn skilled luthier to-boot), took his time to answer your query. However, you seem to have interpreted his advice (which I again remind you that YOU solicited) as a personal attack on you, when I certainly, and the other people who have responded to this thread also, have seen none. You have then responded with a personal attack on him. When others came to Arnts defence, you attacked them as well.

Your statement that "This forum is clearly not the place to seek intelligent advice and talk like adults." seems patently absurd given your behavior here.

Please note that such behavior will not be tolerated on this forum. You have been warned.

This thread has been closed.
MIMForum staff member - Melbourne, Australia
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Schultz »

V(ince) Gordon asked to have his registration deleted and I complied.

Return to “Tools and Jigs”