vises get no respect.

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Bob Hammond

vises get no respect.

Post by Bob Hammond »

IMG_20160121_130727.jpg
My brother gave me this Zyliss vise from the 70s,and at first I thought it was 'Gee Whiz'. I liked the basic idea of portable design and the Swiss quality. At the bench, the height of the jaws is good for fine work, but the original crank handle was clumsy and sometimes in the right-wrong place relative to my anatomy.

It wasn't until I cobbled up this knob/crank that I got to like using it. Without the orange peg, one can tighten the vise by hand gently, and with it one can spin the knob to quickly adjust, and then cinch down as needed. The spinner hole is on the face of the knob, and the three cinching holes are spaced at 120d around the circumference.

I wouldn't call this heavy duty, but it's proven convenient.
Attachments
IMG_20160121_130833.jpg
Bob Hammond

Re: vises get no respect.

Post by Bob Hammond »

1453401285718300280914.jpg
the spinner configuration. The lasso keeps the peg from straying.
Bob Francis

Post by Bob Francis »

clever!
Greg Martin

Post by Greg Martin »

I remember the Slysiss vice in my dads shop in the late 50s it is versatile Ill say that .I have a love hate with it . Ive bought and sold them off 2-3 times over the years. Dads was the best made one for sure. Everytime Id get rid of mine Id see another good use for it and pickup another one. Funny you posted this because I was just thinking about buying one more !!!
Bob Hammond

Post by Bob Hammond »

I looked back in time about this vise.

Zyliss was/is a manufacturer of kitchen gadgets, and this product was an orphan. The patent expired, and many shoddy clones were made. There is one clone that is ok, but I don't remember which one.

if you think this might be useful, then buy one a genuine Zyliss at an online auction site. I have the original box and attachments / accessories, but haven't had much need for them. . This will be great for camping, as part of a kit of selected hand tools.
Simon Magennis

Post by Simon Magennis »

Picked one of these up this week. Looks very useful. Already did two small jobs with it.
Bill Raymond

Post by Bill Raymond »

Who has few vices deserves much respect.

Return to “Tools and Jigs”