Vacuum Clamping Bridges

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Doug Davis

Vacuum Clamping Bridges

Post by Doug Davis »

Hi, interested to know what size vacuum pumps you guys are using to glue/reglue bridges?

any other tips are appreciated as well.

thanks.
Doug.
Paul E Buerk

Re: Vacuum Clamping Bridges

Post by Paul E Buerk »

I'm using the Joe Woodworker Veneersupplies.com V2 venturi setup on top of a couple 5gal air tanks I picked up from Harbor Freight. The reservoir is probably overkill, but it certainly does help draw down the bags and vacuum frames quickly. Driving it is a oil-free Porter Cable compressor, and the family has gotten used to the sound over time. The press itself is fine, but I'd recommend getting a good vacuum pump instead of the venturi. IIRC, the minimum is something like 1CFM with 3CFM or more recommended. I'd have to look it up.
Randy Roberts

Post by Randy Roberts »

compressor pump out of old refrigerator works silently and well. Was just a discussion last month on the old forum, but I think that section is gone now.
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

I'll be reviving it when I get my system assembled in the next month!

(And listen to Randy when he gives advice on the vacuum clamping ;) )
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
Randy Roberts

Post by Randy Roberts »

I have to strongly disagree with Jason on this one. Randy is just an amateur builder who happened to have a lot of fun putting together and using a vacuum system. He has no expertise in this field whatsoever.
As a testimonial to how quiet the refrigeration pumps are, I accidentally left it on for the past 5 days and probably walked past it 40 times and didn't notice.

Return to “Tools and Jigs”