Glue spreader applicator

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
David Robinson

Glue spreader applicator

Post by David Robinson »

If anybody checked out that youtube viddy of the the Hofner factory, maybe you saw this nice little item. Anyone know where to find one of these?
glue spreader.jpg
[/hide]
Last edited by Greg Robinson on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attachment hidden by staff.
Christ Kacoyannakis

Re: Glue spreader applicator

Post by Christ Kacoyannakis »

I saw the video, and thought it was a great idea. However, I quickly realized that this is probably something you have to use every day. Great for factory setting, but in a small shop like mine, where I might not need this for weeks, I can only imagine opening it up and seeing a mass of hardened glue. The short answer is that I have no idea where you would get one. Maybe they made them themselves. I have seen something similar for wetting paper packing tape in shipping departments (that was a while ago before everything became self stick).
Greg Robinson

Post by Greg Robinson »

Hi David,

I've hidden the photo you posted, because we ask that you only post images you have created yourself, as otherwise is a violation of copyright law, and our policy is designed to protect the MIMForum from litigation. Please familiarize yourself with our policy.

Thanks for your understanding!
MIMForum staff member - Melbourne, Australia
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Tools for spreading glue? That's what little fingers are for.
MIMF Staff
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

On bigger pieces, I like to use a little rubber squeegee.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Mario Proulx

Post by Mario Proulx »

Roller applicators like the one (formerly) pictured that attach to the glue bottle can be found at any woodworking supplier. I agree that unless you're in a fast-paced production settling, a bench mounted version would waste a lot of glue, and time, seeing as how it would need a major cleaning before or after every use, unless it is used a lot.

Me? I use my little finger for most tasks, and a notched spreader for larger surfaces, like veneering and laminating.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

If I want to keep my hands clean I will use a flux brush for small stuff and a paint brush for large stuff, but fingertips are the usual tool.
Randy Cordle

Post by Randy Cordle »

I keep a few plastic trowels on hand for spreading glue on flat surfaces. They are sold as disposable glue spreaders for tile work and have fine teeth along a 4" wide face. The great thing about using a toothed spreader is that the glue amount is consistant and correct. Little squeeze out, so not much wasted glue. Fingers always turned out to be a very inconsistant way to apply, plus it's messy!
When you're done gluing a bit of warm water and an old toothbrush makes them good as new for next time.
Lap steels, banjos, and mando family instruments for the world!
Neal Carey

Post by Neal Carey »

I've been using a set of small flexible spatulas that I bought "real cheap" at the Arts & Crafts store. Also, there are metal ones that can be had from places like Woodcraft that are a bit stiffer, and that also help in glue cleanup. I have disposable glue brushes, but the often leave hairs in the glue, even though I pull on the bristles before I use them :-(
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted." - John Lennon
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

Lots of available choices...the squeegees I use are from auto parts stores, they are 3M brand and sold as bondo spreaders, black in color. They come in a few sizes and can be easily cut up and used for sanding pads and also they are thick enough to file a groove in the edge and use as fret polishing backers for polishing and dressing frets with sandpaper.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Mario Proulx

Post by Mario Proulx »

Yessir, a lot of ways to accomplish this little task, but my favorite is still the ever-present "Bob Benedetto glue spreader", which is simply my little finger. The reasoning for using one's little finger is that you can go ahead and handle the work and get it clamped-up without smearing glue all over your work by holding your pinkie up in the "afternoon tea, dainty pinkie" position. Once you get used to it, it's automatic. One of the best tips I ever got from the early MIMF....
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

Just came across this thread and thought I'd add my spreader to it. I used to use a drywall mud spreader for large surfaces that I couldn't apply glue fast or evenly enough to with my finger (fret boards, electric tops). Then I misplaced it and had to make my own - a credit card notched with the band saw. Have used it for years and only took a minute to make.
glue-spreader.jpg
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Christ Kacoyannakis

Post by Christ Kacoyannakis »

I have a glue bottle with a rubber wheel on the end, but don't keep glue in it. If I want to use the rubber wheel to spread glue, I just squeeze the glue out from the original bottle, and use the wheel to spread it out. It needs to get cleaned after each use, or it will get all clogged up, so not great for my shop, where I don't work every day.

As an aside, in reference to the original glue spreader pictured, I have seen similar spreaders used in busy diners to butter toast. It just sits at a corner of the grill or near enough so the butter stays melted, and they use it all day for buttering the toast very quickly.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

The mini paint roller sold in the dollar stores might be another possibility:

https://www.dollartree.com/bulk/Paint-Brush-Roller
Bob Hammond

Post by Bob Hammond »

A piece of hacksaw blade (tpi-your choice), with a dowel handle, shaped like a T. Spread, swish in water, dry.
David King

Post by David King »

I also use a notched spreader but formally used a small rubber drive roller from some desktop printer of yore. The notched spreader is way more reliable in terms of leaving an even thickness.
I do see a use for the type of motorized roller that spreads hot wax on skiis. In that case the operator slides the ski against the direction of the roller which drives the wax deeper into the pores. Such a machine could potentially be used for hot glue. See: https://www.race-werks.com/kwik-roller-hot-waxer/
Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

i got this silicone glue brush set for X-mass. it is pretty awesome.
They are not as easy to clean as you might imagine, but they spread glue very easily and uniformly.
And the clean-up spatula on the other end of each brush is PERFECT for hide glue once gelled. It gets flat on the surface and does not dig in. And the glue does not stick to it, so you can easily wipe off the "booger" and immediately continue cleaning up. I've done the same thing with spruce, but the glue sticks so well to the spruce I would have to use lots of sticks or slice a new feathered edge every "swipe" or so.

I used to use an old poster paint spreader with a notched edge. It worked well, but not as good as these.
Attachments
IMG_1076.JPG
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice
Randy Roberts

Post by Randy Roberts »

Chuck,

Have you tried just letting the glue harden and then pull the dried glue off in one piece? Usually comes off easy that way.
Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

Randy, I'm still figuring it out. First time i used it was with Titebond and I started cleaning it before dry all the way, and it left some glue way down deep in the bristles. Still cam out, but i had to dig.
Next time was with fish glue, and i left it longer and had better success when dry. But fish glue dissolves so easy in hot water all i need to do is run it under the hot tap and it is totally clean
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice
Bob Howell

Post by Bob Howell »

Device shown in first post looks like stamp or tape moistener from long ago. Office supply house item. I saw one in 1971-2.

Return to “Tools and Jigs”