Wood storage pictures?

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Matthew Lau

Wood storage pictures?

Post by Matthew Lau »

Hi MIMF,

Long time, no post.
I haven't build for about 7-8 years, but hope to get back into it this year.

However, my workshop is a mess.

Would you mind sharing pictures of your wood storage?

-Matt
Bryan Bear

Re: Wood storage pictures?

Post by Bryan Bear »

I built my workbench out of kitchen counter top and a frame to hold cabinets. I used wall cabinets instead of base cabinets so there is a foot of open width between the walls and the cabinets. All of my long boards that have not been processed into sets or blanks or whatever are tucked in this open space. I have a set of shelves for all of my guitar sets and stuff.
woodstorage.jpg
Neck blanks/heel blocks and other neck stock on top
A shallower shelf for fretboard and bridge blanks and binding/purfling stuff
next is all of my tops and bracewood in varying states of preparedness
back and side sets are below that
and a bottom shelf that is a bit of a catch all

The shelves are 42" wide and 15" deep (the fretboard shelf is 8" deep). This seems to work well to keep everything supported but not let anything get lost in the back (the neck wood shelf hides a lot of stuff but most of it is all the same so I don't mind too much. The width allows me to keep jointed tops and I can stack all the backs behind the matching side sets. I keep them in the same order in each stack. The heights are adjustable so I can change things around if I need to.

This may not be the most ideal use of space but I did it because I like to pull stuff down and look through it from time to time to get inspired for the next project.

Edit: I can't seem to get the picture to rotate correctly, just lay on your side when you look at it :)
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
David King

Post by David King »

I would warn against standing wood on a basement floor leaning against a concrete wall. Moisture coming through the wall will gradually cup all your boards and it takes a long time to work it's way out -your boards may never un-cup.
If you have a water heater nearby it can decide at any moment to trip it's pressure/over temp relief valve and blow hot water all over your basement floor. Any amount of water on the floor will quickly wick into the ends of your boards and capillary action will draw the water up into the boards causing honeycombing and other permanent damage. This has happened to me twice now and each time I lost several inches to a foot off the end of each board and that was when I happened to be in the basement at the moment the WH blew and I was able to cut the ends off each board on the bandsaw as quickly as possible before the water could penetrate further into the wood. Isolate your water heater's drains and make sure that water can't get out onto the floor. Raise your wood off the floor on non-porous risers or put a vapor barrier on top of the risers to stop any capillary action. Cinder blocks will not stop water from wicking into your wood, they make excellent wicks/ sponges.
David King

Post by David King »

I use a combination of 24" x 48" x 6' steel shelving units to hold all my billets. Boards are mostly laid flat on horizontal commercial shelving units that came from a stationary store going out of business sale. It's not an ideal situation because it's not that handy to pull out a 10' board from under 4-5 other hardwood boards. My first system that's still in use was to bore 5/8" holes horizontally every 10" up the central row of 6x6 posts that hold up the center of my house. I then inserted 14" lengths of 1/2' steel conduit into each hole and lay my boards on the conduit 4-5 boards deep. Each board is marked on the edge with the species, the date of purchase, the board/ft and the price paid. That said i still have a lot of wood leaning against walls that has no place on the shelving but it's undoubtedly the handiest to get at.

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”