Colonial Tonewood ??

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Gordon Bellerose

Colonial Tonewood ??

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

Has anyone used wood from this supplier?
I found them online, and their prices seem pretty reasonable.
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
Waddy Thomson

Re: Colonial Tonewood ??

Post by Waddy Thomson »

Excellent tonewood dealer. Been around for a number of years.
Gordon Bellerose

Thanks for the info Waddy.
Am I correct in my assertion that their pricing is fairly competitive?

For instance; I saw a back and sides set of Sapele at RC tonewoods for 170.00.
At Colonial is was 100.00.
Waddy Thomson

Post by Waddy Thomson »

I think both of those dealers are top notch. I would buy from either. You can't, necessarily compare sets of wood by price. One may have more desirable properties than another. One may be better quartered than another or have a rarer grain pattern, etc. Or, one dealer may be making a larger profit. Hard to say unless I compare directly. These guys are importing, resawing and drying this stuff in many cases. I'm sure pricing is based on their cost. Lots of times, you'll see 10 sets of a type of wood listed and the prices will vary based on the cosmetic beauty of each set. Prices may vary $100 or more if there is a broad range of figure or lack of it.
Arnt Rian

Post by Arnt Rian »

Colonial Tonewood is great. They have been around for many years, I think their both their product, prices and service are very good. It is common, at least for the most expensive woods, that each individual piece will be priced according to desirability, as judged by the vendor. It is all subjective of course, and you may not agree with the sellers definition of its worth, but unless their prices are more or less in line with the competition, over time they will either not sell because they are too expensive, or lose money by selling too cheaply. Its a competitive market, the fact that they have survived for this long, with an excellent reputation, is a pretty good indicator that you can shop with confidence.
David King

Post by David King »

I'm going to be so bold as to drop the link in here so that the benefits of this discussion can extend beyond the confines of our forum.
http://www.colonialtonewoods.com
Todd Stock

Post by Todd Stock »

Good stuff. Prices are good for the material received. Call if you don't see what you are looking for on the site...he may have it.
Gordon Bellerose

Thanks for all the input fellas!

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”