Looking for a 1/4" ply or solid wood top elect git

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Jedi Clampett

Looking for a 1/4" ply or solid wood top elect git

Post by Jedi Clampett »

Without going into all the reasons why, I am converting a chinese beatle bass body into a violin shaped electric guitar.
To this end I am replacing the top of the arch top plywood top with flat plywood, any suggestions?
I am thinking about trying to find baltic birch ply or even hardwood, but finding a source is tough.
So, am open to advice and thoughts. What this does is give me a flat top to mount the telecaster bridge and also access to the interior to shorten the body and add blocks to route for a fender style neck. Likely will put a block where the bridge is as well, but not sure it needs it.
Attachments
Hoffner beatle bass interior.JPG
JC Whitney

Re: Looking for a 1/4" ply or solid wood top elect git

Post by JC Whitney »

Pieces of baltic birch plywd about the size you'd need are available online from Woodcraft if you decide to go that route.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

There should be some reinforcement under any style of bridge. Either braces or a reinforcing plate.
MIMF Staff
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

Any particular reason why you want a ply top? Are you going to paint the whole thing a solid color? What wood is in the sides? Why not try to match them with solid woods, or accentuate the top and back with something figured, like curly or flamed maple?

If you go with plywood for the top and back, and you want to do a transparent finish (natural, burst, tinted), be careful when sanding that you don't sand through a ply and expose the next layer. This is where solid plates would be better: if you're putting on binding or want to ease the edge, you won't make any mistakes revealing the plies.
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
Jedi Clampett

Post by Jedi Clampett »

I am having the whole thing covered in leather and I took the top off so that I can add blocks to the interior and have a bigger block to cut the neck pocket for a fender style neck, also the tele bridge doesn't fit on an archtop, but does on a flat top, the wood of the sides are unknown and I don't care, this is an electric guitar.
Jedi Clampett

Post by Jedi Clampett »

I am using the existing back which has a slight arch.
Jedi Clampett

Post by Jedi Clampett »

I am going to seattle on wednesday and they have a woodcraft there in South seattle.
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

For plywood--get aircraft ply or good russian ply
Russian ply is the same thing as marine grade plywood, but much cheaper (very excellent wood).

Alternatively you can go to michaels or Beverly's to get some aircraft ply in small sheets.

Lastlly, Woodcraft or Lee Valley has good stuff.

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”