Source for quartered curly cherry

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Christ Kacoyannakis

Source for quartered curly cherry

Post by Christ Kacoyannakis »

I am looking for a source for quartered curly cherry for an archtop tenor ukulele. Being that it is a uke, I don't need a very large piece, maybe 13 x 5 x 2 inches for the back, and then some for the sides. I might use it for the neck too. Does anybody have a good source for quartered curly cherry. I am looking for a very special piece with very extreme curly, which you don't seem to find too much in cherry - at least not like you do in maple. Thanks!
Bob Matthews

Re: Source for quartered curly cherry

Post by Bob Matthews »

I would try RC Tonewoods http://rctonewoods.com/RCT_Store/cherry ... -7505.html as they sometimes have some very nice curly cherry and might just have an off cut to suit your needs.
Alan Carruth

Post by Alan Carruth »

Some of the better lumber yards will have a bin for quartered cherry these days. It's expensive, but if you can re-saw your own it's a lot cheaper than buying a set from a tone wood supplier. Sometimes you'll find some really spectacular figure, particularly in what I call 'enriched' cherry, that has shot in it. Of course, the shot can cause problems...
Waddy Thomson

Post by Waddy Thomson »

Check with Hibdon Hardwoods. I know they have Cherry Guitar sets, necks, etc.
Rick Davis

Post by Rick Davis »

Kevin at Curly Maple Wood often has nice cherry but you'll have to resaw it.

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”