StewMac tools

Fastener Resources

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.

Fastener Resources

Postby Perry Underwood » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:03 am

Some time ago, I had the idea of starting a thread that would help us find the types of fasteners used in electric guitar building. The idea was to buy in bulk and save money.

My thought is to have a thread that others can submit information to so that we have a resource when it comes time to buy fasteners.

If it's okay with the moderators, I'll post the company's name and website where I have purchased some small screws. I hope others can also make contributions.

Last summer, I spent quite a bit of time looking online for truss rod cover screws. This is what I found.

Truss Rod Cover and Humbucker Pickup Ring Screws

Micro Fasteners (www.microfasteners.com)

#2 x 1/4 Pan Head Sheet Metal Screws 100 Pieces Plated Philips Head
SMPP0204

#2 x 3/8 Pan Head Sheet Metal Screws 100 Pieces Plated Philips Head
SMPP0206

The above screws (and longer ones) are also available in black oxide.

I have successfully used the #2 x 3/8 screws for humbucker rings, even the angled bridge ring. Micro Fasteners also has these screws in longer sizes.

I also looked for wood screws for Strat and Tele fixed bridges. I found that #5 x 1 is a good size, although #4 x 1 will also work. I can't remember the website I bought these from, although they may not be as difficult to find as smaller screws. The ones I bought were made by PFC (Porteous Fastener Co. (Brighton-Best International). However, they sell only through distributors.

PFC Part # for the #5 x 1 screws is 00521-0516-401. I believe they are zinc plated.

I hope this thread will be of interest to those who may have difficulty finding small screws in bulk amounts.
Perry Underwood

Re: Fastener Resources

Postby Mark Swanson » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:41 am

Good idea, thanks for the links. I have been looking for a good source for pickguard screws, too.
Maybe Charlie will even make this a "sticky" topic so it's always right here.
    Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Mark Swanson

Postby Mario Proulx » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:43 pm

Another good source for small screws/bolts and such are model airplane suppliers.
Mario Proulx

Postby Perry Underwood » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:43 am

Mario, would you have a favorite model airplane supplier that sells online and what parts usable in guitar building are available from them? I believe that would be very helpful.

I checked my past emails and found that I bought the #5 x 1 wood screws, phillips oval head and zinc plated, from ASMC Industrial (http://www.asmc.net)

This is the direct link to the #5 x 1 wood screws.
http://www.asmc.net/5x1-wood-screw-phil ... ed-pk-100/

Another source is Fastener Mart (http://www.fastenermart.com/html/index.html).

This is the direct link to the type of wood screws used for Strat and Tele bridges, although they are zinc plated.

http://www.fastenermart.com/html/680660060060.html

They don't seem to have the #5 x 1 inch screw, however.

One screw I could not find during my search was the type used for saddle adjustment in Strat and Tele fixed bridges. I believe it is a #4 machine screw, but I am not sure about the thread count. That's one problem I encountered in finding machine screws. Most if not all machine screws used for electric guitars seem to be fine thread and not course thread. Most machine screws available seem to be course thread.
Perry Underwood

Postby David Foster » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:53 pm

I found out about a good part resource place a few years ago when I got into sailing. West marine and other boating related stores have slot head screws in a lot of desirable small sizes. FYI I have always preferred a slotted head over a phillips head.
David Foster

Postby David Robinson » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:34 pm

West Marine, or any of the local marine stores, have always been my go to for stainless fasteners.
Here is a hint for sizing screws and bolts, getting the right length will save you buying a bag of the wrong stuff. On McMaster- Carr ( mcmaster.com ) If you follow the links to parts pricing and quantity, there is a link to part info and sizing. Most times there is a dimensioned 4-view drawing and a choice of 2d and 3d models. Often you can find the parts for less from someone other than McMaster.
David Robinson

Postby Michael Lewis » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:16 am

You can also use the AMAZON tools and hardware logo at the bottom of this page to buy through them. They sell for a lot of independent stores and some distributors, and often have what you want, and for a good price. If you buy through them MIMF gets a %, just sayin'.
Michael Lewis

Postby David Robinson » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:57 pm

I am putting together a cheat-spreadsheet of screw sizing for guitar building. For instance:
snap.png
snap.png (9.41 KiB) Viewed 5011 times

Anone have additions, or suggestions? I am always fumbling around for the right size and always guessing wrong.
David Robinson

Postby Ryan Mazzocco » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:20 pm

David Robinson wrote:I am putting together a cheat-spreadsheet of screw sizing for guitar building. For instance:
snap.png

Anone have additions, or suggestions? I am always fumbling around for the right size and always guessing wrong.

this is a great idea and would be a fantastic reference resource.
Ryan Mazzocco

Postby Eric Baack » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:00 pm

They can be a touch pricy on some things but you can't beat their website.

www.mcmaster.com

You can get just about ANYTHING hardware or tool related there.
Eric Baack

Postby Ed Haney » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:22 am

Perry Underwood wrote:Mario, would you have a favorite model airplane supplier that sells online and what parts usable in guitar building are available from them? I believe that would be very helpful....

I'm not Mario, but my Dad and I previously flew RC airplanes. Tower Hobbies http://towerhobbies.com is by far the largest seller online or by mailorder for modeling stuff of all kinds. RC cars and trucks use a lot of nuts, bolts and screws too. Good Luck.

Ed
Ed Haney

Postby Barry Daniels » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:23 pm

Welcome to the MIMF Ed!
MIMF Staff
Barry Daniels

Return to Wood and Materials Q&A