Alaskan Yellow Cedar for Flamenco Back And Sides.

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Gilbert Fredrickson

Alaskan Yellow Cedar for Flamenco Back And Sides.

Post by Gilbert Fredrickson »

Is it really a good substitute for Spanish or Monterrey Cypress? If not, what wood would you use for a similar weight and "blanca" tone? Honduras Mahogany?
G.S. Monroe

Re: Alaskan Yellow Cedar for Flamenco Back And Sides.

Post by G.S. Monroe »

Personally I would suggest Southern Bald Cypress from the Gulf coast of the United States. The wood has excellent tone, very tight straight grain, and light weight. I recently built a slimline guitar from gulf cypress that weighs in at 5lb 8oz.
Dave Myers

Post by Dave Myers »

I have used Alaskan yellow cedar for back and sides on at a half a dozen or so guitars ( flamencos and classicals ) and find it to be a very good substitute for cypress.It is very easy to bend,very stable and is probably the cheapest substitute as well.
Chuck Morrison

Post by Chuck Morrison »

I give Alaskan Yellow Cedar two thumbs up for backs/sides. I've used it for Flamencos and steel string acoustics. An excellent light weight wood and still available in very close grain. It is soft, so be careful, and It can be difficult to find if you aren't on the west coast.
46+ years playing/building/learning
Michael Lewis

Post by Michael Lewis »

Alaskan yellow cedar happens to be a true cypress, not a cedar, in spite of what it is called.
Gilbert Fredrickson

Post by Gilbert Fredrickson »

Thanks, all. I will use it. I am also interested in the Bald Cypress. I 've heard it make for good boat planking. I do have some American Sycamore, but I am saving that for a steel string.
catherine thompson

Post by catherine thompson »

Dave Myers wrote:I have used Alaskan yellow cedar for back and sides on at a half a dozen or so guitars ( flamencos and classicals ) and find it to be a very good substitute for cypress.It is very easy to bend,very stable and is probably the cheapest substitute as well.
Hi Dave
May I ask.. how much do you wet the Alaskan yellow cedar sides when you bend them?
Thanks
Cath
Simon Magennis

Post by Simon Magennis »

I've done two guitars with yellow cedar (Cupressus nootkatensis). Source was probably Canada rather than Alaska. I don't generally soak any wood just damp it a bit with a sponge as I go along. Yellow cedar bends quite easily. The resins, at least on the stuff I have, smell even stronger that european cypress. I don't really like the smell although one of my current "players" is yc. I think some YC would make a nice top. I have been tempted to make guitar with YC for top, back, and sides but haven't tried it yet.

p.s. my yellow cedar was also very cheap. :-)
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

Btw, just a plug for Alaskan Tonewoods (forum sponsor).

I've only had great service and great wood from those guys.
And their AA grade is better than most people's mastergrade for pretty cheap.

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”