how to wire a guitar with two humbuckers and one single coil with the EMG system

Pickups, magnets, microphones, amps, speakers, cabs, whatever...
nick fritz

how to wire a guitar with two humbuckers and one single coil with the EMG system

Post by nick fritz »

i was just wondering if anyone knows if this is possible under EMG's solder-less system because they're my favorite sounding pickups, if not i'm just going to cut and strip the wire and do the traditional solder. i'm just using passive pickups because i don't feel like putting in an extra cavity, but maybe i will, who knows. so to anyone who points out the three pickup wiring kit, that's for active pickups only for some reason, but if it would work just fine please tell me.

thank you for any help.

(edit)- i forgot to mention that i'm modifying a finished guitar, not building one from a kit or from scratch right now.
Christ Kacoyannakis

Re: how to wire a guitar with two humbuckers and one single coil with the EMG system

Post by Christ Kacoyannakis »

I have no idea how to do this, but I do know the EMG has fantastic customer service. I purchased a pickup and headphone amp from them, and I called them to ask how to wire it up, and somebody in customer service drew out a diagram and emailed it to me. You might start there, as they probably know the best how to do it.
nick fritz

Re: how to wire a guitar with two humbuckers and one single coil with the EMG system

Post by nick fritz »

i will try that out then, thank you.
David King

Post by David King »

EMG's wiring harnesses will be fundamentally the same as any passive guitar wiring except that they'll have the extra +9V battery connection. You can buy the right angle male Molex connectors that EMG uses on their pickups and just put them on your passive pickups to end up a plug and play adaptation if you want. EMG may even sell those plugs to upgrade their older pickups that had to be soldered directly to the pot or switch.
nick fritz

Post by nick fritz »

well alright then, thanks for the information david king, that makes thing way easier.

Return to “Electronics”