K&K Double Big Twin question

Pickups, magnets, microphones, amps, speakers, cabs, whatever...
Bob Francis

K&K Double Big Twin question

Post by Bob Francis »

I bought a K&K Double Big Twin pickup for an EUB that I built several years ago.
The problem I have is that when I hold one of the piezo elements in position it sounds great. When I taped the first one into position it barely registers a weak and tinny sound. down. The instructions suggest taping with a piece of double sided tape (provided) before gluing with super glue.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
Chris Richards

Re: K&K Double Big Twin question

Post by Chris Richards »

I recently fitted a K & K kit to one of my acoustics. I found the double sided tape pads supplied with the kit to be completely useless, the instructions do say that you'll have better results using a gel super glue, I drilled some tiny holes through the bridge and top and put some wire through to locate exactly where I wanted the pickup "pads", and after a dry run I applied the glue and stuck them in place completely omitting the tape, I was actually doing it on a round hole archtop with quite a small sound hole and found it a real fiddle so it might be easier in a flat top with a regular size hole.

With the tape holding the pickup pads the sound was so weak it was useless and the pads fell off in under an hour, but with them glued in place the sound is fine, weaker than other systems but the most realistic acoustic pickup I've heard.
Bob Francis

Post by Bob Francis »

Thanks Chris!
Great confirmation on that blasted tape.
David King

Post by David King »

We used the big twins in a pair of bass banjos that my apprentice built. He ended up making an adjustable "foot" that pressed the pickups up against the skins. The volume improved by a factor of 3 or 4 and the low end became totally solid and even up and down the scales. All the guitar installs I've done were with CA glue as per the supplied instructions and I've never had a complaint with this system.
Bob Francis

Post by Bob Francis »

Thanks David,
I like the thought of the adjustable foot . . . I need to dig up some hardware.
Will post pics when done.
John Scime

Post by John Scime »

Just to add confirmation to what others have said - I have installed K+Ks on 3 acoustics, a resonator and 2 mandolins over the years. Only one of the mandolins was installed with the tape, and those pads were taped to the lacquered top. Sound was ok, but it was much improved by installing inside under the bridge "feet". On all of these I used CA glue, magnets for locating with the mandolins. They sound awesome.

Return to “Electronics”