Wiring new guitar

Pickups, magnets, microphones, amps, speakers, cabs, whatever...
F Murtz

Wiring new guitar

Post by F Murtz »

This may be a big ask, I am going to attempt to make an electronic guitar with enough stuff to keep guitarist busy,I have two 4 wire humbuckers and a single, I have two(at the moment) 500k pots with switches(so can add resistors caps etc ) I have a 5 position lever switch and am looking for wiring diagram to make as many variations as possible.
I am not sure if this is the best section of the forum to ask
Steve Sawyer

Re: Wiring new guitar

Post by Steve Sawyer »

They don't have one to match your exact mix (humbuckers and a single-coil) but I'd start with the diagrams available on the Seymour-Duncan site. Should at least give you some ideas.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/wiring-diagrams
==Steve==
F Murtz

Post by F Murtz »

Have seen them but most are for 2 humbuckers or up to 3 singles and want to use the pull switches may even want more pots for the single
David King

Post by David King »

Rather than focusing on the components that you already have I'd figure out what sorts of possible wirings make sense given the pickups.
Also do a search for "H S H wiring diagrams"
Splitting the two humbuckers is easy enough.
Having a 5 way switch to mix up the 3 pickups makes perfect sense.
Getting them to always play together in humbucking mode without having to switch two switches is where I'd focus my energies and that's probably going to require an Oak-Grigsby 4 pole 5 way switch.
All possible permutations of wiring are already out there, you just have to find them. If the one you want doesn't exist it's probably because it's not possible.
Keep in mind that 80% of possible permutations are either redundant or the differences in sound are so minute as to be indistinguishable.

Return to “Electronics”