Shield Battery Box?

Pickups, magnets, microphones, amps, speakers, cabs, whatever...
Kurt Veltman

Shield Battery Box?

Post by Kurt Veltman »

Do I need to shield the battery compartment in a solid body bass if it is separate from the rest of the controls?
Mark Swanson

Re: Shield Battery Box?

Post by Mark Swanson »

No.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Greg Robinson

Post by Greg Robinson »

No need to shield the battery box, either from outside interference, or from other components.

It's a clean voltage source (unlike mains power), so you don't need to shield the other electronics from it, and it's low impedance, so it doesn't pick up much in the way of radio frequency interference from external sources.

For best practice though, try to keep it in the same shielded cavity as the rest of the electronics, although nothing to worry about if space doesn't allow it.
MIMForum staff member - Melbourne, Australia
Kurt Veltman

Post by Kurt Veltman »

Thanks guys. Greg, you can see the battery compartment next to the control cavity in this pic (inline with the neck, above the string ferrules). I did this quite awhile ago, and I think it was because of a space issue. The small-ish size of my lower wings doesn't allow for a very big control cavity. Now that I know it's better to keep them together, I will try to work that out next time.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
Greg Robinson

Post by Greg Robinson »

Nice looking bass!
By the way, remember that I said "best practice". You probably won't hear any difference, but you might be able to measure one if you looked close enough. If it's not shielded it doesn't really matter.
MIMForum staff member - Melbourne, Australia

Return to “Electronics”