Out of Phase?

Pickups, magnets, microphones, amps, speakers, cabs, whatever...
Matt Madden

Out of Phase?

Post by Matt Madden »

Hi all:

I built a tele-deluxe style guitar a couple of years ago with just a single PU in the neck position. I recently decided to put a GFS P-90 in the bridge position. The installation went pretty well (got pics at home, but not with me at the moment), and the P-90 sounds pretty nice. The other pick-up is a GFS lipstick tube and I'm using a 3-way Les Paul type switch. I'm fairly pleased with the outcome (it works, no hum or noise!). Electronics are not my stength.

However, with the switch in the middle position, the output is very weak and thin. Did I wind up with the pick-ups out of phase? If so, how do I correct this? Is it a matter of switching leads on one of the pickups or is it more complicated than that?

I appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Matt
Greg Robinson

Re: Out of Phase?

Post by Greg Robinson »

Hi Matt,

It sounds like you've got the pickups out of phase (I prefer the more correct term of polarity, phase refers to the time domain, but I digress).
The basic solution is to switch the + & - leads on one of the pickups.
If you used a Tele type neck pickup, they usually have the metal shield connected to the negative lead, so you probably can't switch that one because you'll have the shield connected to +.
Most P90's don't have a shield so you should be able to switch its leads without any problems.

Good luck!
MIMForum staff member - Melbourne, Australia
Matt Madden

Re: Out of Phase?

Post by Matt Madden »

Greg, thanks!

I will switch the leads of the P-90. I also wired the switch upside-down so the up position is the bridge pickup, and down is neck. No one plays the guitar but me so I guess it doesn't matter! Maybe I'll fix that too when time allows.

Return to “Electronics”