1 humbucker, 1 volume, 5-way, and interesting options

Pickups, magnets, microphones, amps, speakers, cabs, whatever...
Jason Rodgers

1 humbucker, 1 volume, 5-way, and interesting options

Post by Jason Rodgers »

I'm working on an 8-string multi-scale guitar right now, and I've decided to go with one humbucker, one volume, and a 5-way switch. I'm thinking the pickup will have about 6000 turns of 43awg with a ceramic magnet (I'm aiming for something in the neighborhood of a SD Nazgul).

Guitar Electronics has this wiring diagram for just such an occasion. http://www.guitarelectronics.com/produc ... witch.html
The options are:
1. Series in phase
2. Single north
3. Parallel in phase
4. Single, south
5. Series out of phase

But do you think this is an interesting and/or useful variety of options (this guitar isn't for anybody, but built on spec)? I've posted this question on the MEF, and got some interesting suggestions for caps and/or resistors in series to create like a 5-way tone switch. I like that idea for some positions, but not going full-on Varitone. Also, two single-coil options might not have enough actual difference in tone to justify both. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your thoughts!
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
Gordon Bellerose

Re: 1 humbucker, 1 volume, 5-way, and interesting options

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

I agree that the two single coil options probably would not have a large enough tone difference to be worthwhile.
All the other options sound interesting though.
Could you go with a 4 way switch, and just have one single coil option?
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
Jason Rodgers

Re: 1 humbucker, 1 volume, 5-way, and interesting options

Post by Jason Rodgers »

As it is, this will required a Super switch to achieve the results in that diagram. I'm interested in some of the sounds that can be gotten from inserting a capacitor in different locations in the signal chain, like a bass cut (high pass) when a cap is in series with the pickup, as well as the common treble cut (low pass) when the cap is in parallel.
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.

Return to “Electronics”