Source needed for an acoustic electric jack

Pickups, magnets, microphones, amps, speakers, cabs, whatever...
John Green

Source needed for an acoustic electric jack

Post by John Green »

Hello all, First post here. The guys at Stewmac.com recommended I try my question over here. I have a 1996 epiphone pr5eL. I use it all the time on bar gigs and it has always been one of my favorite ones to play. Recently the jack has failed and I am look for a replacement. It is a 1/4 and XLR combo ( no battery door) with an attached mini jack that plugs into the onboard preamp. I found one that looks very close on the Artec web site but I cant find it for retail sale after many web searches. Does anybody know where I can get one of these?

Any lead would be helpful. Thanks
David King

Re: Source needed for an acoustic electric jack

Post by David King »

Something like this?? http://www.pennelcomonline.com/us/us/Ne ... itedStates
There seems to be another version without the push-button unlock. I'd be tempted to just put in a strap-pin TRS phono jack.
In the meanwhile try spraying some deoxit 5 in there and see if you can get a few more gigs out of it.
Joshua Levin-Epstein

Post by Joshua Levin-Epstein »

I think David misunderstands the piece to be replaced. This is a panel with both a 1/4" (TRS) and XLR connector, so you could actually run both high and low impedance outs simultaneously. My experience with these things is they are not very sturdy, especially with a cord flexing it around. You don't say which output you're using, but if you're using the 1/4", I agree with David that an endpin jack would be the most road worthy, and these are available all over the place. You might be able to replace the plastic 1/4" with a stereo Jack, but it would not be as strong as the endpin jack. If you're using the XLR connector, then it gets more complicated. In that case I might try making a replacement plate using Switchcraft connectors and some thin sheet metal. I've seen guitars with an endpin jack plus an XLR connector in the end block, but that strikes me as a whole bunch of work.

If I recall correctly, the output from the preamp has both low and high leads (in one cable) that go to the appropriate connector. You might check those solder connections.
David King

Post by David King »

Perhaps a metal plate with a nice wood veneer. I spent some time looking through the gigantic Artecmusic site but couldn't find anything with a jack on it. Perhaps the OP could put a link to what they saw and we could figure out a way forward. Meanwhile the Artec USA rep Caliguitar.com could be a good place to start to find out how parts can be ordered.
John Green

Post by John Green »

Thanks for all the info and help so far. Joshua is correct the plate has both a 1/4 ans an xlr next to each other. I agree David that site is huge and confusing :shock: Here is url to the artec site. http://www.artecsound.com/acou/buying.htm it is the one labeled XLR unbalanced XLR jack. I tried to contact Caliguitar but never heard back from them.
I only use the 1/4 inch so maybe I could make my own plate with just the 1/4 mounted to it? any ideas on materials etc to do that? Or I guess I could ream out the end pin hole and install a regular end pin jack. I have done that on other guitars so I feel comfortable doing that. I was just hoping to do the simple swap for a new plate but that is not looking good.

Again thanks for the help
Matt Madden

Post by Matt Madden »

My friend's guitar had one of these jacks. He wanted to install a Fishman Matrix Infinity system. I took the guts out of the combo jack and used it as a mounting plate for the 1/4" jack for the Fishman. It looks the same from the outside, but the XLR doesn't do anything now.

So, maybe you could install a new 1/4" jack in the existing plate.
John Green

Post by John Green »

That is a possible idea Matt. I never use the xlr. It would be easier than reaming out for an end pin jack. I could do that while looking for a replacement that would restore the xlr funtionality. Not that would ever need it. :D

Return to “Electronics”