Using a Yamaha super switch for switching internal efx on and off

Pickups, magnets, microphones, amps, speakers, cabs, whatever...
Jedi Clampett

Using a Yamaha super switch for switching internal efx on and off

Post by Jedi Clampett »

I am in process of building a one pu single coil solid body electric guitar. I have had for years a yamaha superswitch that I got from stemac, maybe even 20yrs ago. I have never done any wiring, but I can learn, however for you folks that have experience with the yamaha super switch just wondering if I can use this to switch on and off a combination two internal efx. I got them from guitarfetish and it is their premiere preamp/active tone control and tremelo. In addition I have two spots for pots. The tremelo will be preset for intensity by replacing the external pot with a internal thumb pot. The other pot likely will be a 50k reverse taper volume pot since I am left handed. With the many options for the super switch, I would hope to be able to bypass electronics, switch the preamp and tremelo in and out individually and in combo.
Is this doable? Then to complicate things I have a custom made for me 3 saddle piezo tele saddles from Graphtech. They made this up special for me and no longer make them. I will be trying to use the guitarfetish preamp on the piezos but am prepared to put another piezo pre in the guitar if needed, then the whole thing will be phantom powered using a stereo guitar cable. I am not asking you to draw this out for me, except if you do, but if any of this seems reasonable, i would love your opinion if this would work at all?
David King

Re: Using a Yamaha super switch for switching internal efx on and off

Post by David King »

The "super switches" are 4 pole (4 independent circuits) and 5 throw (5 positions). That's a lot of options.
A typical full bypass switch takes 2 poles, one to connect the input and one to connect the output.
Since the inputs for both effects are the same source, and the outputs of all the effects are the one and only output jack you should be able to do this with just 2 poles leaving you 2 extra poles for something else
Each pole has a "common" and the input common will be the wire from the pickup or piezo preamp.
The second pole's common will go to the output jack (perhaps going through the master volume and a tone pots first).
Out of curiosity does each saddle have one or two piezo elements?
Jedi Clampett

Post by Jedi Clampett »

each saddle has two piezos. I frequently ask a mfg to custom make custom parts for me and often they can quite reasonably. Graphtech has someone who was the only one who knew how to do this. They told me he was sick, but came into work and made these for me, but no longer do it. however this was several years ago. The basic idea for the electronics is that I like the idea of one pickup guitars, but then to explore the possibilities of that. So on one hand very simple on the other very versatile. I built quite a few PAIA kits years ago, so was going to build from existing circuits, but guitarfetish has their mod boards. Since I want fewer knobs, use the set and forget mini thumb pots. So with an effect like tremelo, I set the depth to a specific setting but use a speed knob, actually, will set the intensity with a pot, then measure the pot and replace with a resister. The idea is that the guitar looks like a one pickup guitar with 2 knobs, but within that limitation, how far can you take it and have it still make sense. I build for myself or family so do not have to worry about what others think. I like building my own bodies, but I can't buy the wood for what Guitarfetish charges for a clearance body, so often modify them. So with this build I took GF body which is a reject body from a Chinese mfg, obviously intended for the Jay Turser and Rogue Beatle Basses, today am ripping off the arch top, so I can modify the interior and replace it with a flat top. The block for the neck needs to be extended and the flat top allows me to use the telecaster bridge. The hardware is gold plated eldorado engraved tele hardware. Still working on a design for the electrical, but doing the wood work first so all that can stew in my head for awhile, knowing what the super switch can do is a help and I will draw it out so it makes even more sense.
David King

Post by David King »

I suspect that the dual element piezo saddles will have too much crosstalk to be useful for a MIDI application so I doubt Graphtech has much reason to pursue these. Good luck getting them to intonate if you aren't able to adjust the angle of each saddle independently.

Return to “Electronics”