Speed control for a pickup winder?

Pickups, magnets, microphones, amps, speakers, cabs, whatever...
Markku Nyytäjä

Speed control for a pickup winder?

Post by Markku Nyytäjä »

Last week I finally did what I had been planning to do for a year or so. I disassembled an old Husqvarna sewing machine I had bought for 5€ at a flea market. What I salvaged from the lot was the 220V 55W AC motor, a 7 mm thick axle rod with a cog wheel and a rubber belt to connect the two. Finding ball bearings with a 7 mm inner diameter for the axle shouldn't be a problem, but I need a reliable speed control for the motor. Can I use a light dimmer for this purpose? I have an extra dimmer with an on-off switch, and it would be really practical if I could use it. I'd have all the controls in one package. If not, whot sort of speed control should I use with a motor like that and where could I purchase it for a reasonable cost? I doesn't have to be a virgin part, a used working speed control will do nicely.
Here's the 220V 55W AC sewing machine motor. Speed control wanted.
Here's the 220V 55W AC sewing machine motor. Speed control wanted.
David King

Re: Speed control for a pickup winder?

Post by David King »

Markku,
Congratulations on the motor. It's what we call a "Universal" motor in that it will run on AD and DC voltage and it's reversible. It's the same motor you have in your Vacuum cleaner, electric drill, router etc. I'm pretty sure your dimmer will work fine. That said if you can scrounge a sewing machine speed control pedal you can use that.
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

I look forward to seeing what you come up with for a winder. Yes, a foot pedal works well, especially when something goes wrong and you can pull your foot off and stop the works. However, if you plan to automate things, with at least an auto traverser, a dimmer would probably be more convenient. I'm working out a traverser with a fishing reel, and I suppose I could sit there with my foot on the pedal and watch it wind, but I might eventually put the speed control in a dial.
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
Markku Nyytäjä

Post by Markku Nyytäjä »

Thanks, Jason. It would be really neat if I got it to work with the dimmer - and even better, to run in a reverse direction when needed. That would make the the construction and the use of the winder less complex. I'll scan and post the wiring diagram of the dimmer so someone can prevent me from burning my shop down.
Markku Nyytäjä

Post by Markku Nyytäjä »

And thank you too, David. ;)
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

A foot pedal works ok, but I found it a bit impractical for me because I had to sit there with my foot on the thing. I switched to a speed control, and I use a simple and cheap Harbor Freight Router Speed control. Plus, the speed control comes in useful to control other tools too, and also it controls the heat on my soldering iron.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
David King

Post by David King »

To reverse the direction I think you will need to reverse the two wires going to the brushes and the two wires going to the armature. Lots of info about this on the web though. On the older sewing machines with the round belts it was easiest to flip one end of the belt to form a figure 8.
Steve Koons

Post by Steve Koons »

You've got a 220 volt light dimmer? That's a pretty oddball item in the states.
David King

Post by David King »

I'm pretty sure Markku lives in Finland.

Return to “Electronics”