Single Mother pickups

Pickups, magnets, microphones, amps, speakers, cabs, whatever...
Markku Nyytäjä

Single Mother pickups

Post by Markku Nyytäjä »

I wound my very first pickup in 2011. It was a Strat bridge pickup with AlNiCo5 rod magnets and a 6.3 kΩ DC resistance. It's now installed in the Alligatrix Pipeline guitar that I finished last winter. It sounds very strattish. Over the years I have experimented with differrent types of bobbin materials and structures and different types of magnets. I discovered neodymium magnets when building a guitar for a $100 Challenge and built the pickups from scratch to keep the budget. I missed the challenge deadline, but I finished the guitar. The pickups exceeded my expectations and I have built several sets of both humbuckers and single coils since. Her comes my latest set, the Single Mothers.

The set of three pickups are Strat pickup size, but they have no covers and apart from lacking the metal baseplate they resemble structurally the Tele bridge pickup. I don't have any sound clips of the new set yet, but knowing how a hot Tele bridge pup and Strat pups with neodymium magnets sound like I have a rather clear picture of the sound characteristics of this set. They sound somewhat darker and less trebly than the jangly AlNiCo pickups, have a powerful growly midrange and a broad tight low end. So they are suitable for all kind of rock and dirty blues, especially when distorted. The bobbins are taller than standard bobbins, so they can be overwound without losing too much high end.

Here are the specs:

Bridge pickup 10500 turns AWG 42 wire, 10.8 kΩ, polarity South
middle pickup 10500 turns AWG 42 wire,10.8 kΩ, reverse wound, polarity North
neck pickup 9000 turns AWG 42 wire, 7.8 kΩ, polarity South
neodymium button magnets, ABS plastic top and PVC plastic bottom, polished steel polepieces
pickups potted in in a mixture of paraffin (80%) and beeswax (20%)

And here come the pics:
Winding a Single Mother coil with my DIY power drill winder contraption.
Winding a Single Mother coil with my DIY power drill winder contraption.
Soldering lead wires to the coil.
Soldering lead wires to the coil.
Attaching neodymium magnets to polepieces. I check the polarity with a good compass several times to rule out any of the polepieces going out of phase.
Attaching neodymium magnets to polepieces. I check the polarity with a good compass several times to rule out any of the polepieces going out of phase.
I fix the magnets into place with a couple of drops of CA glue.
I fix the magnets into place with a couple of drops of CA glue.
Single Mother ready for potting.
Single Mother ready for potting.
Mark Swanson

Re: Single Mother pickups

Post by Mark Swanson »

It looks like there is a yellow wire there too- what is that for? Good job.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Markku Nyytäjä

Post by Markku Nyytäjä »

Potting the pickups in molten wax, a mixture of paraffin (80%) and beeswax (20%). The wax kettle is in a larger kettle filled with water to melt the wax evenly and to prevent overheating. I try to keep the temperature around 66°C and pot the pickups for some 20 minutes.
Potting the pickups in molten wax, a mixture of paraffin (80%) and beeswax (20%). The wax kettle is in a larger kettle filled with water to melt the wax evenly and to prevent overheating. I try to keep the temperature around 66°C and pot the pickups for some 20 minutes.
And here's the official studio portrait. Smile!
And here's the official studio portrait. Smile!
The tops of the coils are made of 3-ply ABS pickguard sheet and the bottoms of plain PVC sheet. I have made polycarbonate plastic templates for both the tops and bottoms, with a 50 mm spacing for the neck pickup and 52 mm spacing for the other two. The same templates can be used for humbucker coils as well. After cutting the blanks out with a bandsaw I fix them to the template with double-sided tape, drill the polepiece holes and rout the edges flush with a table router.

The polepieces are 5 mm thick steel rod. I cut the rod to slugs of a suitable length with an angle grinder and then level the ends. I have a power drill with a quick chuck clamped to a work bench. I tighten the chuck to hold a slug securely and set the drill on top speed. First I level and bevel the bottom ends with a file, then turn the slug around and level the top end. I also round it off a bit before polishing it. I oil-sand the slug end with 400, 800, 1200 and 2000 grit papers and finally polish it with coarse and fine polishing wax and a piece of felt glued to a block of maple. It takes a few minutes for every polepiece, so preparing polepieces for a set of three single coils means 18 times 3 minutes. That's almost an hour. The 24 slugs for a pair of humbuckers takes even longer, but I think it's worth it. The wax polished polepiece end looks good and wont corrode the way a coarse untreated slug end does. After all the rod isn't stainles steel and and it needs to be polished to prevent it from getting oxidized and from reacting to humidity.

I came up with the name Single Mothers when I thought about the characteristics of the pickups. They're single and have to deliver everything without the support of another coil. Soundwise they're down to earth and gutsy. And I think they look nice. Well, this may also have something to do with a single mother I'm in love with. She's down to earth, gutsy and beautiful, but that's another story. ;)
I hope I get these pickups installed in a guitar soon and some sound clips recorded. Until then we'll have to make do with the photos.
Markku Nyytäjä

Post by Markku Nyytäjä »

The yellow wire is the coil start lead. I solder a short lead to every coil I wind to avoid accidentally breaking the start end. Works for me.
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

You upgraded your winder! These look great, and give me ideas. Thanks for posting!
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
Markku Nyytäjä

Post by Markku Nyytäjä »

Thanks. Actually it's still the same old winder. It works OK, but it's hard to set running really slowly, so I must start the winding really carefully to prevent the wire from snapping. The more I wind, though, the easier it is to control the speed and the tension. After a long break I have to relearn the routine. I still have an old sewing machine that I've been planning to turn into a winder. I just haven't taken the first step to do it.
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

The sewing machine motor will be a vast improvement. I use a router speed control from harbor freight to control mine, very smooth.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
rob bowen

Post by rob bowen »

these are gorgeous .... looking forward to hearing the recording!
Markku Nyytäjä

Post by Markku Nyytäjä »

Thanks. I'm looking forward to building a guitar around them.

Return to “Electronics”