archtop wiring question

Pickups, magnets, microphones, amps, speakers, cabs, whatever...
Greg Martin

archtop wiring question

Post by Greg Martin »

Im waiting on some materials so I thought Id work on the archtop electronics. Im using a Kent Armstrong pup and shatten thunbwheel controls. So when you make up a harness in an archtop how do you best secure the wires as they travel to the jack and tail piece. You dont just let them dangle inside do you ? Would these wires need to be secured ?? before the top is glued on ? how do you all do it?
Dave Stewart

Re: archtop wiring question

Post by Dave Stewart »

I've never mechanically secured the long stretch of wire between the pot & jack. I just get the pickguard mounted stuff sorted, leaving the jack tail loose, then dry fit to get the length right (ie not much excess wire) & wire the jack. If the wire's still a bit floppy at final assembly, you can rotate the jack a bit to put some tension in the wire which takes out the flop.
Dave
Milton, ON
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

I've used stick on, plastic wiring clips from Radio Shack. Try to minimize the number used.
MIMF Staff
David King

Post by David King »

I'd use a small zip-tie to fold up the excess wire near the edge of the sound/F hole. I'd keep it from flopping around with a small patch of freezer tape or 3M R100 "reusable" double sided tape.
Greg Martin

Post by Greg Martin »

r 100 reclosable tape ,did they call that dual lok ?
David King

Post by David King »

Greg,
3M Dual Lock tape is a heavy duty velcro, the R100 is a double sided film tape that's about 30 mils thick and clear. Either would work fine in this application.

Return to “Electronics”