Using piezo bass bridge for acoustic sound

Pickups, magnets, microphones, amps, speakers, cabs, whatever...
Jedi Clampett

Using piezo bass bridge for acoustic sound

Post by Jedi Clampett »

I build guitars for my family and it takes forever. I enjoy the design process, anyway am thinking about using a leo quan bass ass2 bridge on a fender style bass guitar and can get piezo saddles from Graphtech. So, I know it can be done, but would like your opinion and experience. My hope is that will give it more of an acoustic sound to mix with the pickup. The pickup is a Rio Grande Bass pickup primarily it is an HB composed of two of their '51 precision pickups. I think matched with a piezo bridge would be great if they work well in combination. So have you used piezo pu on an electric bass and what is your opinion and would you do it again?
David King

Re: Using piezo bass bridge for acoustic sound

Post by David King »

Jedi,
It's great in theory but the two pickups are picking up two different sections of string so you will see some phase cancelation. The results can be OK but usually are disappointing. If you mix piezo with magnetic you will need to buffer them with a preamp to mix them correctly. I'd go with Graphtech's ghost preamp with 3 band EQ. People really seem to like the Graphtech saddles and they are quite reasonably priced. Piezos in a bass are definitely an acquired taste and not one I have been able to acquire at any price.
Jedi Clampett

Post by Jedi Clampett »

I have used them on elect guitars and spoke with them today, I agree about the preamp, but I think best used as seasoning for food. I am curious, I know that I CAN use a piezo, but am interested if YOU HAVE used one on a bass guitar? My deal is that I love single pu guitars and bass and that makes more canvas for the art of the guitar. However many people like bass with a sharp attack where I am the opposite, I like bass guitar like BBQ low and slow, a seduction as opposed to a smack in the head with a board
David King

Post by David King »

Jedi,

Most of my customers who have the piezo option got it for hexaphonic midi output. Only a few opted for or wanted the full piezo- magnetic blending option and of those most will add just a shake of the piezo to the magnetic pickup. You would have to talk to them i guess to get the answer. I'm not sure the piezo would dull your attack any. That's going to depend a lot on where you pluck the string and whether you use the finger tip or the side (as one would when plucking an upright). The inherent phase cancellation of the two pickups will definitely have an audible effect (and it may be exactly the effect you are looking for.) As a final aside I'd say 90% of the piezo pickups I added were on fretless basses where the attack is going to have a very different envelope to begin with.
Hopefully members with more live playing experience will jump in and tell you what you want to know.
Jedi Clampett

Post by Jedi Clampett »

that is why I am getting opinion. I only want one visable pickup, but if I can broaden the tone zone of the bass, that would be wonderful. I will check and see if Graphtech has a phase switching option.
Jedi Clampett

Post by Jedi Clampett »

I think you can just change phase with a diode, what I really want to find out is your experience in doing it and the results. Not if it can be done or how it can be done. That I know, but if it will give an acoustic sound with the elect sound and so expand the elect sound. Much of that is technique and style, wonder if it expands the options? I can always try it, but I assumed many have tried it already and have opinion with the results. I appreciate the comments so far, but would really love your opinion of the results and if you would do it again?
Eric Baack

Post by Eric Baack »

I have the graphtech ghost system in my PRS inspired build along with their pre-amp. I didn't want the midi/hexpander in mine. The pre-amp can do the mixing of the piezo and magnetic pickups or you can leave them separate. Mine is wired where I can have the mags either through the pre-amp or bypass it (in case the battery dies)

It sounds very nice with the guitar. I can't speak for how it would sound in a bass though.

http://youtu.be/gdc2vqmO-TU?list=UUO54T ... 5lPbZ35JaQ

Return to “Electronics”