Little wheel on pre-amp question (Yamaha silent guitar) and jackpin rattle

Pickups, magnets, microphones, amps, speakers, cabs, whatever...
Steven Odut

Little wheel on pre-amp question (Yamaha silent guitar) and jackpin rattle

Post by Steven Odut »

I have a new Yamaha silent guitar SLG-130NW. Quite nice and excellent for travel. I am in China on a business trip and plugged in the ¼ line out jack for the first time, which resulted in an annoying rattle when playing. I took the electronics apart to fix the rattle, which requiring some paper shims to be inserted into the cheap dorky jack assembly. Anyone else experience this type of rattle that only occurs when the jack is plugged in?

While the guitar was apart I fiddled with a little wheel that is on the pre-amp (at least I think is it the pre-amp). The wheel is normally not accessible as you have to take the guitar apart to get to it.

The under-saddle pick-up is directly wired to the device pictured below. There is a wheel that was turned all the way to the right. When I turned the wheel it seems that it controls how “rich” the sound is. All the way to the right gives more reverb and all the way to the left results in a plain-jane clean sound.

Can anyone tell me what this wheel does? I could find no information in the Yamaha manual or on the web. I’m not even sure the brand of the pick-up. There are references to a “b-band” pickup on this model of guitar. The pre-amp circuit board has Yamaha printed on it, just beside the wheel.

Thanks,
Steven
Attachments
image.jpg
image2.jpg
Peter Wilcox

Re: Little wheel on pre-amp question (Yamaha silent guitar) and jackpin rattle

Post by Peter Wilcox »

Without knowing anything about this, my guess would be that there is a pinion gear on or coupled to the effects control knob that meshes with this gear and turns it when you turn the effects knob, so you should have it set to the correct position when you put it back together.
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Steven Odut

Post by Steven Odut »

No, it's definetly not connected to anything you can adjust from the outside when it's reassembled.
Thanks,
Steven
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

Interesting. Can you control the effects with the effects knob when it is disassembled? If so, is there a difference in the quality of the effects when the wheel is at one extreme or the other? If so, maybe it's a factory setting ((connected to a trim pot or something mechanical?) to optimize the sound of the effects.

You can call or email http://usa.yamaha.com/support/contact/ Another phone # (from the reviews on Yamaha site - seems rattles are a problem) 714 522-9000
Let us know if you find out.
Steven Odut

Post by Steven Odut »

Peter Wilcox wrote:(from the reviews on Yamaha site - seems rattles are a problem)
Where are the reviews on the Yamaha site? I could not find any other people complaining about rattles when I was searching for information on this guitar. There's another smaller rattle in the MP3 line-in jack.

Thanks for the contact info. When I return home I'll give them a call to ask about the wheel.
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

4 reviews at http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical- ... mode=model -click on reviews tab.

3 of them mention vibration, buzz or rattle, but don't sound like your problem.
Dave Sayers

Post by Dave Sayers »

L r baggs lyric pickups have a tiny adjustable gain you change with a pointy stick. Perhaps thw wheel does the same thing?

Return to “Electronics”