black ice & general strat wiring

Pickups, magnets, microphones, amps, speakers, cabs, whatever...
Ryan Mazzocco

black ice & general strat wiring

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

This is why I normally stick to building acoustics. Wiring gives me a headache. But, in building my first electric I thought I'd go the easier route and buy a pre-wired pick guard for my strat style guitar. I also want to instal the black ice "overdrive." After looking things over I'm finding out that I don't think it's really as simple as the packaging makes it seem. Also, my wiring, at least to my untrained eye, seems a bit strange.
Here's what I know (or what I think I know.)
going from left to right, the first 3 terminals are the neck, middle and bridge pickup. the middle two are commons (whatever that means) and the last 3 are bridge, middle neck for tone, etc...
I can see that the first 3 are the leads from the pickups. easy enough. I can see that the 'common' goes to the volume. and I see that that neck and middle secondary terminals go to the the tone controls. there is no tone control for bridge and one common is open.
the first thing I noticed when researching this was that in nearly every picture or schematic I could find, the cap was on the middle knob while mine is on the third one. What's that all about? is this thing wired up right or wrong?
and finally, what really is the best way to hook up the black ice? I don't mind having just one tone control for all pickups and the other dedicated to the black ice. I don't even care which knob does what... I just want it to work and be right.
thanks.
Attachments
strat wiring.jpg
Ryan Mazzocco

Re: black ice & general strat wiring

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

K... think I got this thing figured out now.
David King

Re: black ice & general strat wiring

Post by David King »

Oh good, I looked at the switch and it didn't look like anything I've ever dealt with so I let that dog sleep.

Return to “Electronics”