PRS Narrowfields

Pickups, magnets, microphones, amps, speakers, cabs, whatever...
Tristan Williams

PRS Narrowfields

Post by Tristan Williams »

Last weekend I was over in London and made my usual pilgrimage to Denmark Street - the highlight of the trip, easily, was the PRS Studio with 57/08 Narrowfield pickups. Really sweet sounding pickups! Partnered with a little Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister that was a phenomenal guitar. If it had 7 strings (I feel naked on a 6-string these days) and I had a few thousand pounds to spare then it would have followed me home. The pickups sounded somewhere between a single coil and a P90, and with various switching combinations it did a great job of giving a Strat-ish tone and a Tele-ish tone. I'd love to try making something similar for my 7-string which is in sore need of a neck pickup.

Does anyone have any information about their construction, or has anyone built something similar? My first guess is just that they're narrow humbuckers with Alnico polepieces, so I could always start from there, but it'd be nice to have a closer starting point. eg bobbin width & height, resistance, maybe wire gauge..
David Schwab

Re: PRS Narrowfields

Post by David Schwab »

They are basically mini humbuckers.

Return to “Electronics”